Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: Over-excitable collie

Options
  • 29-11-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice. Our dog, a collie, is a fairly energetic and excitable dog - which you would expect given the breed. However, he is 10 now and hasn't calmed down at all! What is specifically the problem is that if ANYONE, friend, family or stranger, knocks at the front door or visits the house he goes absolutely crazy for a full 5 minutes barking like mad and jumping around the place and no amount of shouting will calm him down. When he wears himself out a bit he calms down and goes back to sleep but it really is a pain.

This isn't some guard-dog reflex because he usually knows the people - its more of a attention seeking thing we think but it really is something we want to stop him doing or even relax him if at all possible??

Any suggestions?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There are specific ways of dealing with this problem, it's pretty common.
    Ignoring the dog (guests as well) until she calms down and then once calm she gets the attention. Collies can be full of beans and go through a moment of nuttyness esp. if they've been chilling out and then someone new or something interesting happens.

I'm sure others will give some other tips, our collie is 10 as well and although she's a little more calm now she's still got the energy of a puppy. She needs a good run esp. in the mornings before she chills out then she's more calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭VB

our collie used to get v excited when there was someone at the door. But not to the extent you are talking about. I found that the best thing to do was to not open the door until the dog was calm. I also didnt open the door until the dog stayed back away from it which gives people a chance to get in!He now sits on the steps of the stairs without any problems. It took a while to get this far though and you need to have patience and someone willing to go through plenty of trial runs with you.

When people come in they have to ignore the dog totally and if he jumps up on them then move away from him otherwise he will just get more excited. I do the same thing when I let the dog in from the garden. He races around the kitchen with excitement but if you ignore him it only lasts about a few seconds, if you dont then he jumps all over you and races up and down the hall etc. And of course the usual point re making sure they are getting plenty of exercise applies!

Advertisement