Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My car died .........

Options
  • 29-11-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

I'm assuming my altenator is gone just looking for confirmation:

Was driving in Galway last night, Red Dynamo light came on, was dropping someone out to Headford. The dashboard lights began to darken and the car suffered a severe loss of power. I pulled over and switched everything off bar the engine which I kept ticking over until eventually she just calved on me.

I'm guessing my altenator wasn't charging my battery and the battery just eventually wore down.

Opinions ??

It was very cold weather.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I'm assuming my altenator is gone just looking for confirmation:

Was driving in Galway last night, Red Dynamo light came on, was dropping someone out to Headford. The dashboard lights began to darken and the car suffered a severe loss of power. I pulled over and switched everything off bar the engine which I kept ticking over until eventually she just calved on me.

I'm guessing my altenator wasn't charging my battery and the battery just eventually wore down.

Opinions ??

It was very cold weather.

Dynamo?? That was only on older cars. You mean charge light.Do the lights brighten when you rev the engine a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Sounds like it to me. The read battery light is not the battery light as such its the alternator and as it happened it would sound to me like it is the alternator however im not a mechanic. Just i know its happened me before recently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Could be the alternator but might just be the alternator belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The belt could also be slipping,any squeaks or screeches out of the engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Dynamo?? That was only on older cars. You mean charge light.Do the lights brighten when you rev the engine a bit?

Dynamo light is what the owners manual refer to the light as. The lights would have done the opposite when strain was put on the battery before it died.

Thanks for viewing and comments lads. Spoke with my mechanic, gonna get a battery off him and hopefully get the car back to his garage tomorrow for diagnosis. These car things are all bloody money, just had a service done last week including new pads on all 4 wheels.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Dynamo light is what the owners manual refer to the light as. The lights would have done the opposite when strain was put on the battery before it died.

Thanks for viewing and comments lads. Spoke with my mechanic, gonna get a battery off him and hopefully get the car back to his garage tomorrow for diagnosis. These car things are all bloody money, just had a service done last week including new pads on all 4 wheels.:rolleyes:

:confused: Strange! what make/year is the car?Could not be this if its got a alternator.Strange manual. You can check to see if the alternator is charging if you are familiar/have a multimeter yourself.

Advertisement