Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car temperature

Options
  • 29-11-2009 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

OK it was -2 degrees where I am today and all day the marker on my car never went that much higher above the C mark. Is this normal on a day like this or is something wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Are you talking about engine temp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

EPM wrote: »
    Are you talking about engine temp?

Yes. You know the dial that has C and H. Mine never reached the middle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

is it a japanese diesel?

No. Its a japanese regular petrol. Toyota corrola.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

thermostat could be stuck open,there cheap and would take a mehanic few mins to fit, was heater working in car,, maybe gauge was wrong,,give dash a bang,, yea sounds funny , but jap cars gauges get stuck, and a tap on dash makes it popped up to where it should be,,see it with quite a few japanese makes,
    if your heater was working in car then car was getting warmer than gauge was telling u

• Advertisement

No. Heating wasnt working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

No. Heating wasn't working.
    Get a new thermostat and that should solve the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Check theres water in the rad....heater wont work if the level is low. Dont take too much notice of the temperature guage...some cars it hardly ever moves which is OK...its when it DOES move...(up, rapidly) you have to take action.

EDIT...check theres ANTI FREEZE in the rad not just water... :-)

Im glad you edited that because I would have checked and if there was nothing in it would have run into the kitchen for a pitcher of tap water and put it in the rad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you find yourself having to top up with a lot of antifreeze and water its not good. If you do not see a visual leak the headgasket is possibly on the way out...Not so small a job but hopefully this wont be the case for you. If you are not getting warm air in the car when you would expect to be its not a good sign in general...I say that from experience. Also when topping up antifreeze be careful to follow manufacturers instructions. While pouring water directly in is not a good idea, pouring antifreeze directly in is definately not a good idea.

When you would expect engine to be at normal operating temperature (regardless of needle in the dash) feel pipework around engine. If there appears to be airlocks and lots of pressure in any it would seem to indicate problems. Be careful working around a running and hot engine bay. You could scald yourself badly and electric fans could unexpectdly cut in. If your iffy about it your best to leave it to a mechanic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Temp not going up and heater not working ...there definitly is something wrong.

Your engine is getting hot, regardless of what the guage says or what the heater does. But as the hot water isn't reaching the guage sensor or the heater, your engine is actually getting much hotter than normal, only you don't know about it.

This needs to be seen to immediately, otherwise you will damage your engine.

possible causes:
    - no coolant
    - only very little coolant and an airlock
    - water pump not running

Take it to a good garage asap.

Im glad you edited that because I would have checked and if there was nothing in it would have run into the kitchen for a pitcher of tap water and put it in the rad.

would have been OK but this time of year you have to remember not to dilute your coolant....check the handbook ... Im into old cars but I BELIEVE modern cars tend to run with coolant summer and winter...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

this used to happen to my old car when it ran out of coolant (it had a leak)

i might be worth your while giving the coolant level a check before you bring it to the garage

being of the old school, I regularly check my levels...does anyone else or do people rely on a light coming on nowadays? My missus wouldnt even know how to open her bonnet!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I've an MG so it's only natural for me to check :) - Modern cars do have water level sensors though to give you warning.

No hot air and temp gauge not rising is a sign that coolant is either not there or not circulating and doesn't sound good to be honest. As previously mentioned, the engine will get hotter, it's inevitable. Get it look into ASAP.

Advertisement