Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair braids salon in Dublin?

Options
  • 28-11-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hiya!

Anyone know where would be good to get some braids done? I mean like the African or Caribbean style, not french braids and preferably a salon you may have visited.
    Also, I get blonde highlights, so should I get a dose of of the bleachy stuff first??
    Should I do anything to my hair (or not) beforehand?

Sorry for all the questions, all advice gratefully accepted!!!

Lil xxx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

There's a place on Moore St that is run by an African woman. We had to bring my friend's lil sister there to have her hair braided about two years ago. Hopefully they're still there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm sorry I have to ask!

Are you getting these done for any particular reason?!!! (ie. just because you like them or for a costume party etc).

Obviously taste is subjective but I note you have blonde highlights. IMO these braids only look good on blonde hair when done on holidays (Barbados etc) and the person has a bit of a holiday glow to go with their braids etc. And they take them out of their hair the day after they get home from their holidays :D

But just my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I would get some personal recommendations before I chose a salon. There are a few on Moore St, but I know a girl who got braids done in a salon there a few years ago and they braided them far too tightly and she had to have them taken out a few days later as they were so painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

eth0_ wrote: »
    I would get some personal recommendations before I chose a salon. There are a few on Moore St, but I know a girl who got braids done in a salon there a few years ago and they braided them far too tightly and she had to have them taken out a few days later as they were so painful.

Braids are always done tightly unless you don't want them to last for a long time, but the discomfort shouldn't last for more than a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Gyalist wrote: »
    Braids are always done tightly unless you don't want them to last for a long time, but the discomfort shouldn't last for more than a day or two.

Yeah I know, I think they were still really sore after a week, she couldn't even sleep properly they were that sore. I think some of these women aren't familiar with braiding caucasian hair and don't realise it's not as resilient as afro hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

eth0_ wrote: »
    Yeah I know, I think they were still really sore after a week, she couldn't even sleep properly they were that sore. I think some of these women aren't familiar with braiding caucasian hair and don't realise it's not as resilient as afro hair.

The problem is that caucasian hair does not hold the braids as long as afro hair so it has to be braided tighter to compensate else the hairdresser ends up with an unhappy customer. It depends on an person's pain threshold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lily_white08

I have a month off from work coming up.

Always loved the way they look and I'm in a uniformed job so there's NO WAY I'd be allowed wear my hair like that everyday and I've never, due to this fact, been able to do anything further than highlights and get away with it.
    I'm also gonna be away for the month so as "amdublin" mentioned I will have a bit of a suntan to go with 'em, understand what she means tho, Irish skin just looks pasty when you scrape your hair back off your face otherwise.
    Is there anything you can do to stop them going frizzy while they're in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

i got it done in a place on moore st too. it's painful for a while but goes away quickly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bibivina

It has nothing to do with the caucasian hair regarding the soreness of your friend.

I also thing most of them very experienced because they're braiding hair since childhood.

You can by certain spray when you got your braids done. It solves the burn on the scalp. Cold water also helps. My braids always last at least 1- 1.5 months.

I even have a black friend, that have got done braids several times. She also had some pain from the very beginning, it is perfect normal. :)

Advertisement