Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre Recommendations

Options
  • 28-11-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭

OK, I need 4 new tyres for an Alfa 147. Tyre size is 215/45/17.

I initially was thinking of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy's, can get them online for €400 delivered. But I'm concerned about the rate of wear these will suffer. I understand that thats the 'cost' of having more grip, but would tyres as good as these be wasted on a car like mine?

If so, does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm keen to get something that has good grip inn both wet and dry, the ones I put on the front were cheap(ish) and Ive always regretted having them on.

The other tyre I've been recommended is the vredstein sessanta, but unfortunately they dont come in the right size.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Have eagle F1 asymmetric's on my own car. I find them very good in both wet and dry conditions. Better then the previous directional tyre and quieter too. I have the rears on the car about 5k miles and fronts about 1k, wearing very well.
    I don't think they are as soft as the likes of toyo t1's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I've read on seatcupra.net of good things about the performance of f1's but the price you tend to pay is quicker wear. I'd go for dunlop sp spormaxx. On my second set now and can't fault grip in wet or dry plus getting 30k km out of a set

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Thanks had a look at those Dunlops they look good, slightly cheaper too. If the wear is only slightly less on the Goodyears I would get those, but if its a thing that I need to get them changed again in 10k miles Id steer clear.

Would the fact the car wouldn't as powerful as most that these sort of tyres are being fitted on have any affect on their wear rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I recently replaced cheap front tyres with Potenza RE050A's on my car(different size, same tyre in 215/45/17 afaik) and found the difference in wet grip amazing. Also meant to last reasonably long.

Tragedy wrote: »
    I recently replaced cheap front tyres with Potenza RE050A's on my car(different size, same tyre in 215/45/17 afaik) and found the difference in wet grip amazing. Also meant to last reasonably long.

They were the original tyres on my car 225x45x17, lasted about 11k on the front and 20k on the rear. They were decent enough but not as good as either of the goodyears.

• Advertisement

Tragedy wrote: »

Thanks for the suggestion, I read a review on them and they don't seem to be as grippy as either the GYs or Dunlops so I don't think Ill choose them to be honest.

Does anyone know/think if the need for tyres like these is reduced with a less powerful car? Bear in mind I drive it pretty 'eagerly' shall we say, but obviously the car has its limits.

Neilw wrote: »
    Have eagle F1 asymmetric's on my own car. I find them very good in both wet and dry conditions. Better then the previous directional tyre and quieter too. I have the rears on the car about 5k miles and fronts about 1k, wearing very well.
    I don't think they are as soft as the likes of toyo t1's.

What car have you neil? How long do you hope to get out of them, and how would this compare to the previous tyres? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Thanks for the suggestion, I read a review on them and they don't seem to be as grippy as either the GYs or Dunlops so I don't think Ill choose them to be honest.

Does anyone know/think if the need for tyres like these is reduced with a less powerful car? Bear in mind I drive it pretty 'eagerly' shall we say, but obviously the car has its limits.
    The main reason I bought what I bought was wet grip & noise. With a decent tyre, unless you're driving like a maniac you're going to struggle to exceed grip in the dry :)

215/45/17 is quite a thin tyre, although your car isn't the heaviest. So bear in mind, at motorway speed you're likely to have quite a lot of road noise!

What car have you neil? How long do you hope to get out of them, and how would this compare to the previous tyres? Thanks

I've a seat leon cupra. Hope to get about 10-12k miles out of the fronts, about a years worth of driving. This is the 3rd set of tyres in about 40k miles, previous 2 sets were eagle f1 directionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I bought these about 3 months ago and find them to be a good tyre:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s15p6204

Falken are a very underrated mid range tyre and good value from camskill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement