Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Solo

Options
  • 28-11-2009 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone to grab a few days skiing on their lonesome? I did in Norway last season, it was a very quiet time though and I combined it with seeing some of the country too. Just got 3 days on the slopes in and I got a private instructor for a session each day to improve my technique.

I was thinking of going to Austria for the first time in Feb (had to change my earlier plans). Can anyone give advice on a good resort to go to in western Europe for a single traveller or any advice in general on going skiing alone. I may try snowboarding this time out.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

I've never done it but always wanted too. Only a couple of my friends would go and even fewer can afford it. Always thought of a few days on my own, but never had the guts to go solo. Fair play though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've done several trips which were technically on my own although meeting the people your going with for the first time at the airport on the way out may not count as genuine solo ski trips as you then are no longer on your own from that point. The trips that I have done totally on my own though were to Canada and New Zealand and for weeks at a time or longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I LOVE skiing on my own.

Seriously, it's dead easy. It's much easier to book for one than for a crowd, you can always find somewhere to stay, and skiing on your own is so Zen. If you having a good time, you can keep going till exhaustion or hunger stops you, no worrying about having to meet up at lunch or anything like that. And if you want to lunch off three desserts, there is no-one to mutter about it.

And in case you are wondering: if you get injured when skiing on your own, you are likely to receive much better attention and treatment than if you are with a family or group. Once they know they can't dump you on someone else, they'll arrange ambulances and whatever else you need without you having to hassle them.

Just pick whatever resort you fancy. You'll do fine.

My advice: pick one that you normally couldn't afford. When there is only one of you, the price is manageable, and you can always save money by eating pizza rather than four course meals, and still have enough for a good night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

The nearest I came to skiing alone was a holiday I went with my son a few years ago. He was in the ski school from 9~3 so I had that time on my own.

It was nice just looking after yourself, and got alot more skiing in :) but there was times when I really missed someone to have a laugh or talk about a run with.

Saying that, any chance of a ski holiday should be grabbed with or without friends !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 manofthemoment

EileenG wrote: »
    and skiing on your own is so Zen.

That's the word! When you are on quiet slopes, not too many people around. The rare times when you get from one end of the slope to the other and not see another person. But skiing in genereal is Zen anyway.

I'd seriously move to another country to have more of a life outside. Ireland has neither snow nor sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

If Ireland had a few big peaks and winter snow it would be a case of, carlsberg don't do countries, but if they did....

I'd completely go on my own no bother at all to ski. Doesn't suit friends to go and hardly anyone I know is a skiier anyway ! In fact, I'm looking to go on my own at the moment !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

why dont all the people who want to go but their friends cant/wont do what robinph did...book your hol and only meet in the airport before hand!!! that way you can ski on your own during the day if you want and just meet up for the evenings so you have company for dinner and drinks!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭LeoD

I did 2 days in Saalbach in March on my own. Very few people about (and only heard one person speaking english) so wide open private pistes during the day but boring enough at night. 2 days/nights was plenty for me but if there were more people about it would have been grand I reckon.

Advertisement