Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance - off piste(unguided) + rescue costs.

Options
  • 28-11-2009 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

I used to be covered under a household policy which covered off piste snowboarding with and without a guide and also covered the cost of any rescue.

Since then the company (ace) seem to have changed their policy wording and now require you to be with a guide.

Does anyone know of an insurance provider that covers non guided off piste snowboarding and just as importantly the cost of rescue (helicopter, ski sled etc.)

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Try the AA. Royal Sun Alliance are the insurer as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Seillejet wrote: »
    Try the AA. Royal Sun Alliance are the insurer as far as I am aware.

In there faq AA say they cover off piste - but they dont talk about rescue and stupidly theyve formattted their poliocy document so it cant be searchable. Seems like they want you to read through 200 pages of legal jumbo :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Very few if any insures insure off piste withouhg a guide and if they do the policy wording thends to ensure they only pay out if you know the area well and are filly trained and preped for it. Carrying the holy trinity with you (Shovel,Probe,transcevier)

Even if the do cover it I am sure they will have some way of wiggilig out of paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

scuk has good insurance and you dont have to be a member to get it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I cannot find it now but I seem to remember someone mentioning the British Mountaineering insurance(?) before, cannot remember what they even called themselves now. But that they had pretty comprehensive options available for all sorts of crazy activities that would normally be excluded in most policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

paddyb wrote: »
    scuk has good insurance and you dont have to be a member to get it
    (SCUK Policy wording)
    * you are accompanied and you comply with local safety advice at all times.

you need to be accompanied but I have had a quick look at the wording and there is no mention of who you need to be accompanied by.

Getcover offer unrestricted off piste skiing, but their policy wording states
    Provided the appropriate additional premium has been paid the following are covered: Guided cross-country skiing (Nordic Skiing), mono skiing, off-piste skiing or snowboarding (in areas designated safe by resort management), recreational racing, skiing, snowboarding and snow sledging.

there seems to be a contradiction there so maybe you should give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Getcover offer unrestricted off piste skiing, but their policy wording states

Quote:
    Provided the appropriate additional premium has been paid the following are covered: Guided cross-country skiing (Nordic Skiing), mono skiing, off-piste skiing or snowboarding (in areas designated safe by resort management), recreational racing, skiing, snowboarding and snow sledging.

This means you are covered on Piste in Europe nothing more. Any where outside the pise markers in Europe is not considered safe by resort management

Advertisement