Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Irish Cheese Irish?

Options
  • 28-11-2009 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Both Wexford Cheese and Charleville cheese show "UK" in the little circular label on the back of the packet. I always assumed this label shows the country of origin of the product and Irish food has "IE" as other Irish cheeses. Is Wexford cheese of UK origin despite the name and healthy looking Wexford farmers on the label?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭glanman

As far as I know they are packaged in the UK but made in Ireland, therefore thay have UK EU number

open to correction though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I started a similar thread some time back...many labels that we grew up with and are household names, that we think are Irish, are in fact non-Irish...take a look at the fridge counter when next in the supermarket and check countries for sausages, rashers, cheese etc - you'll have too look hard to find Irish- then head to the biscuit section and look at all the biscuits you THINK are Irish--they'll be UK..then go to the gift shop and look at Waterford crystal ...Irish?..naw,,,polish, eastern european but not Irish...
    shouldn't be of any surprise though...many of the factories that have shut over the last 10years and we're well publicised in the news, were well known Irish labels

SAYING all that, it would appear that Wexford cheese is indeed Irish so not sure what the UK aspect of the label is. ...http://www.wexfordcreamery.com/pdfs/CHEESE/CheeseMakingStages.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thorpe

I can confirm that all cheese produced by Wexford, Newmarket, Glanbia and Carbery that are sold here in Ireland are produced in Ireland, they may not have been packaged here but that is a different story.
    AFAIK most of the the cheese packaging in the consumer formet is dont my the IDB at their Leek plant. Im open to correction on this.
    I dont do any work with Kerry Group so I dont know anything about them.

Advertisement