Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should car dealers be licensed

Options
  • 28-11-2009 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

As a car dealer I believe all car dealers should be licensed and a body should be set up to audit(check mileage etc) all cars on every dealers forecourts.This would get rid of the cowboys that are giving the trade a bad name...I'm sure all reputable dealers will agree...Maybe the SIMI should look into this....What do you think ?

Should Irish Car Dealers be Licenced? 17 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Interesting thead... I don't think the SIMI are relevant to the motor industry outside of the franchised dealership network.

As for licensing the industry, the same has happened in the transport/haulage industry and the legislation isn't being enforced so the whole thing is a joke. I couldn't imagine it being any different in the motor industry.

It could work, but how would licensing the industry in itself reduce clocking and sharp practice???

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If people insisted on and checked full service histories when buying cars it would go a long way to curbing clocking. NCT should also have a checkable log of mileages from tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 bi

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Interesting thead... I don't think the SIMI are relevant to the motor industry outside of the franchised dealership network.

As for licensing the industry, the same has happened in the transport/haulage industry and the legislation isn't being enforced so the whole thing is a joke. I couldn't imagine it being any different in the motor industry.

It could work, but how would licensing the industry in itself reduce clocking and sharp practice???

1.The Simi ARE relevant to non franchise Dealers
    2.It would only work if it was inforced.
    3.No license .....No business...you cant run a pub without a license.

Stekelly wrote: »
    If people insisted on and checked full service histories when buying cars it would go a long way to curbing clocking. NCT should also have a checkable log of mileages from tests.

I couldn't agree more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

bi wrote: »
    As a car dealer I believe all car dealers should be licensed and a body should be set up to audit(check mileage etc) all cars on every dealers forecourts.This would get rid of the cowboys that are giving the trade a bad name...I'm sure all reputable dealers will agree...Maybe the SIMI should look into this....What do you think ?

Reading between the lines I read your post as 'Should we stifle the compitition by a license system so that we can keep our business to ourselves then we can make more profit....from those that are too lazy to educate themselves about the basics of what to look for when when buying a used car'.
    I would rather educate myself around the possible pitfalls of buying a used car and learn how one should avoid falling into a money pit of a car, rather then to hand over an inflated profit margin to Mr Honest John the licensed car dealer.........So my answer in a nutshell would be NO!

• Advertisement

What the feck has running a pub got to do with the motor trade besides contributing to drink driving?

c4cat wrote: »
    Reading between the lines I read your post as 'Should we stifle the compitition by a license system so that we can keep our business to ourselves then we can make more profit....from those that are too lazy to educate themselves about the basics of what to look for when when buying a used car'.
    I would rather educate myself around the possible pitfalls of buying a used car and learn how one should avoid falling into a money pit of a car, rather then to hand over an inflated profit margin to Mr Honest John the licensed car dealer.........So my answer in a nutshell would be NO!

there is nothing here between any lines......this is about getting rid of rogue dealers who are unfair COMPETITION TO THE REPUTABLE DEALERS this is not about more profit but a level playing field which i believe is in everyones interest

What the feck has running a pub got to do with the motor trade besides contributing to drink driving?

Absolutely nothing......I am talking about licenses in an other business that cant operate without one

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

There's pros and cons to the argument.

Add a poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

there is nothing here between any lines......this is about getting rid of rogue dealers who are unfair COMPETITION TO THE REPUTABLE DEALERS this is not about more profit but a level playing field which i believe is in everyones interest

Define a rogue dealer in your eyes.

• Advertisement

Then why just the motor trade? License every possible business. Lets go one step further license every job on the market and level the playing field in all walks of life not just for the likes of the motor trade and let the Nanny State make sure we are all happy and we do not have to think about how to decide what is a good buy or not. The fact is there are cowboys in every walk of life, even in licensed trades and its upto individuals to check and make sure the terms of any transaction is good for them.

stepbar wrote: »
    Define a rogue dealer in your eyes.

That would be defined very quickly if a license was put in place and a body set up to audit/check cars for sale on ALL dealers forecourts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Sounds like a plan. There's been too much clocking going on out there, and the penalties for it (if caught) are pretty lightweight.

Sounds like a plan. There's been too much clocking going on out there, and the penalties for it (if caught) are pretty lightweight.

I agree there is so much clocking of cars going on, so if one is going to buy an undocumented car then one should pay for the car as unwarrented milage and not take the milage to be true,

If the car is a low milage car then one should first of all learn the tell tale signs of excessive use for the stated milage and walk away if there is any evidence showing of excessive use for the milage given. A cowboy dealer does not have the time or knowhow of how to hide the signs of high milage on any car

That would be defined very quickly if a license was put in place and a body set up to audit/check cars for sale on ALL dealers forecourts

But in your eyes you define one please

But in your eyes you define one please

Someone who is clocking cars. These are the ones making more profit as they can buy high mileage cars cheaper .

Someone who is clocking cars. These are the ones making more profit as they can buy high mileage cars cheaper .

Well thats a crime and and its been going on since cars hit the road, but its for the law to deal with regardless.. As I said if one learns the basics of checking the milage on a car one can be pretty sure they will not fall into the trap of unknowingly buying a high milage car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

No. This is Ireland, and we make a balls of regulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

No. You define what a rogue dealer is, not your solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    There's pros and cons to the argument.

Add a poll?

Done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

1.The Simi ARE relevant to non franchise Dealers
    2.It would only work if it was inforced.

How is the SIMI relevant to the non franchsied members of the motor industry???

It is an organisation that is stuck in the past, it should be disbanded, just take a look at their website if you are under any illusions about how backward the organisation actually is. If it spent less time organising evening dinners and fancy balls for twats with fancy chains of office hanging off their necks and self congratulating themselves they might have more time to improve the industry and actually be relevant to the Irish motor industry of today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

JHMEG wrote: »
    No. This is Ireland, and we make a balls of regulation.

This about people report people clocking and report it to their mates or setup a website to report that activity and name and shame dealers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Anyone can open a pub, however if they wish to sell alcohol, they need a licence as it is a restricted substance.

the same logic doesn't apply.

Licencing dealers is a pointless exercise. It would cost money and push up the cost of buying cars by restricting the market.

Advertisement