Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Dimmer Swith Trouble

Options
  • 28-11-2009 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i have a small 12v Electric motor i'm trying to set it up as a record player motor, and i have a 12v 9v 7v 5v power supplys but i am trying to use a set of 3 double a's. my question is, is it possible to rig up a dimmer switch to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Schizems wrote: »
    i have a small 12v Electric motor i'm trying to set it up as a record player motor, and i have a 12v 9v 7v 5v power supplys but i am trying to use a set of 3 double a's. my question is, is it possible to rig up a dimmer switch to this?

The quick answer is no... a dimmer switch just works on AC, where as you have a DC motor and the batteries are DC.

Your AA batteries are 1.5V each, so the 3 of them in series will give you 4.5V, which is very little to run your 12V motor. I would advise you to get more batteries or a lower voltage motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Schizems

Thnx for the help, after some searching and a little learning, i figured out that i need a Potentiometer, and as far as the low voltage i just need a little only need to push the record to 33 rpms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

How are you gearing it to the turntable?

The TT alone will need considerable mass to overcome any fluctuations in the torque (which will be in short supply anyway with an underpowered motor.

Most pots too won't cope with the current required. Far easier to pick up a turntable on ebay or somewhere tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You can't use a potentimeter to control a motor directly. They are only rated for a couple of mili-amps, so it would melt the resistive material in an instant.
    You'd need a kit to do it.
    http://www.quasarelectronics.com/motor-controllers-drivers.htm

Have a look at the velleman kits in Maplin. I think they have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

How are you gearing it to the turntable?

The TT alone will need considerable mass to overcome any fluctuations in the torque (which will be in short supply anyway with an underpowered motor.

Most pots too won't cope with the current required. Far easier to pick up a turntable on ebay or somewhere tbh.

+1

You need to gear down your motor to get it to the 33rpm, rather than just reduce the voltage.

When you gear down, you'll increase the available torque / reduce the motor current.

• Advertisement
Advertisement