Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Come see the amazing land fish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The world's largest rodent is a fish?!!?!?

F#cking Catholics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

It looks like it tastes awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Hmmm, sounds fishy....

I'll get my coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

When is a goose a fish?

When it's a Barnacle goose - yes, Irish people believed this goose lived in a barnacle, being a migratory bird it was absent for long periods of time and this living in a barnacle was what was decided. Of course, this made the goose a fish and so eligible for consumption on Fridays under Catholic regulations.

Previously, when Lent was observed dutifully by Catholics, the regulation was that adults would have one meal and two colations, small meals, generally interpreted as a biscuit and a cup of tea. One clever confectioner in Cork produced a massively big biscuit so that people could have their biscuit and tea and still stay within the regulations. These biscuits were known as "Connie Dodgers" as the bishop in Cork at the time was Cornelius Lucy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

From rodent to fish - now that's some real cool evolution in action!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It makes sense really

4a530ea61d7a6_98358n.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'm a vegetarian. I'm not strict; I eat fish, and duck. Well, they're nearly fish, aren't they? They're semi-submerged a lot of the time, they spend a lot of time in the water, they're virtually fish, really. And pigs, cows, sheep, anything that lives near water, I'm not strict. I'm sort of like a post-modern vegetarian. I eat meat ironically.
    Bill Bailey - Part Troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Great to see religion distorting reality and science again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Class!!:D

OP, this just made my day.

• Advertisement

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Starvation? There's no shortage of fish in the Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Galvasean wrote: »
    Starvation? There's no shortage of fish in the Amazon.

Yes, but they tend to be the kind of fish that eat you, rather than vice versa. :)

As a non-Catholic I find it strange that the same people who howl criticism at the Catholic Church for not being flexible in regards to condoms in Africa now choose to mock them for showing similar humanitarian flexibility in the past. Damned if they do and damned if they don't, apparently.

PDN wrote: »
    Yes, but they tend to be the kind of fish that eat you, rather than vice versa. :)

As a non-Catholic I find it strange that the same people who howl criticism at the Catholic Church for not being flexible in regards to condoms in Africa now choose to mock them for showing similar humanitarian flexibility in the past. Damned if they do and damned if they don't, apparently.

Given that the accounts of how this "doctrine" arose are hazy, we cannot say it was for humanitarian purposes, especially when the thing was considered a delicacy.

Anyways, it's no longer a humanitarian issue, so has the RCC denounced the idea that it is a fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

As a non-Catholic I find it strange that the same people who howl criticism at the Catholic Church for not being flexible in regards to condoms in Africa now choose to mock them for showing similar humanitarian flexibility stupidity in the past. Damned if they do and damned if they don't, apparently.

FTFY :)

If you are referring to the red bellied piranha, even a fairly large swarm of piranha would shy away from a full grown human, unless he was heavily injured.
    PDN wrote:

But the kapibara 'flexibility' is not a humanitarian concern. The Amazon is absolutely teeming with fish that can be caught easily.
    I will say that the Amazon river is full of animals that can kill you (caimen, anacondas etc.), but the kapibara inhabits the same places as them (heck, they are the anaconda's favoured prey item). Generally speaking if you want to avoid the large predators you should avaoid the kapibaras entirely.
    Throwing a few nets out and knabbing the fish would be easier and safer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Nah. Just damned if they do ... insult people's intelligence on a grand scale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

humanitarian flexibility
    ROFL

Allowing indigenous people eat a rodent on Fridays - they're all heart. :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I find it strange that the same people who howl criticism at the Catholic Church for not being flexible in regards to condoms in Africa now choose to mock them for showing similar humanitarian flexibility in the past. Damned if they do and damned if they don't, apparently.
    In the case of the catholic church, it was literally damned if you did.

From what's available on the Capybara, it seems that the religious authorities banned, as they did elsewhere, the eating of meat during lent. Then owing to fears of starvation, had to redefine a rodent as a fish, so that their flocks would still be around to celebrate easter.

It's an odd organization which threatens dire consequences for certain acts, then having been caught out, indulged in linguistic ju-jitsu to render themselves blameless.

Now, where did that turn up this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

On a related note. Here is a picture of another creature deemed to be a fish by Catholics... and I am not joking. The reasoning is something like, because it eats mainly fish... it is a fish. :confused:

puffin.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Here is a picture of another creature deemed to be a fish by Catholics... and I am not joking. The reasoning is something like, because it eats mainly fish... it is a fish.
    I suspect it's got more to do with the fact that the Puffin is just about the only edible thing that grows naturally on the Skelligs.

• Advertisement

Do they really need to reclassify things as fish?
    Surely God would forgive them for eating some meat during Lent if their lives depended on it.

On a related note. Here is a picture of another creature deemed to be a fish by Catholics... and I am not joking. The reasoning is something like, because it eats mainly fish... it is a fish. :confused:

puffin.jpg

That's so cute..
    Eating things that cute should be against the law.:)
    Also it begs the question why would a God who loves His creation so much leave us it with the requirement to eat several times a day?
    For feck sake, like, other animals only need eat once a month!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Malty_T wrote: »
    That's so cute..
    Eating things that cute should be against the law.:)
    Also it begs the question why would a God who loves His creation so much leave us it with the requirement to eat several times a day?
    For feck sake, like, other animals only need eat once a month!:mad:

Enjoying my food as I do, I think the ability to eat several times a day is a blessing from God.

However, I do wonder that, if God does love His creation so much, why didn't He put all the calories into crap-tasting stuff like broccoli and salad and make Spaghetti alla Carbonara a health food.

Enjoying my food as I do, I think the ability to eat several times a day is a blessing from God.

Ability and necessity are two wholly different things.:)
    The necessity to eat often each day could easily have been unnecessary.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

eoin5 wrote: »
    Hmmm, sounds fishy....

I'll get my coat...

Don't do stand-up. You'll just flounder.

Taxi!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Just to be clear. We're not mocking them for showing similar humanitarian flexibility in the past. We're mocking them for calling that oversized guinea pig a fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

robindch wrote: »
    I suspect it's got more to do with the fact that the Puffin is just about the only edible thing that grows naturally on the Skelligs.

Well obviously. I understand the reasoning behind the classification, but it's the farcical nature behind it that is odd.

I mean how can these people claim that Science and Religion are compatible when they can't get past simple matters such as the type of meat they can eat during one of their observances without falsely reclassifying it. It's an example of how, when push comes to shove, with Catholics everything else will be forced to change before they accept that their understanding of the Bible, or the Bible itself, is wrong.

Advertisement