Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Concentrated anti-freeze

Options
  • 28-11-2009 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

With the onset of winter its about time I topped up the anti freeze in my car.

The only stuff I could get this morning was Esso antifreeze concentrate, which according to the instructions should be diluted with de-ionized water. This is the bit I have the problem with - where the hell can I get de-ionized water?

Was thinking that I could boil and cool some tap water and use that? Don't want to mess up the engine and the cars not due for a service for a few months. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its not worth bothering with that diluted stuff. It may not be suitable for your car.
    What type of car is it? Does it have a red coolant or green or what? The different colours should never be mixed.
    If its an old car and you are happy to use the stuff you have, you can just add the stuff from the bottle after having drained sufficient water from the system. You will get the dilution that way. If you are draining the whole system and renewing the complete fluid, I woould get the recommended stuff for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What does it say on the bottle about how much you need to dilute the concentrate. If it says add 5% antifreeze to 95% water then topping up with pure concentrate is going to have a significant effect on the coolant strength. OTOH if it says to add 50% antifreeze to 50% water and you just need to top up, i would just add pure concentrate and forget about diluting it with water.

That is assuming that the antifreeze you're topping up with is compatible with the stuff that's already in there. If it's a new car I would pay attention to compatibility, if its an old car less so. A lot of manufacturers now use/recommend pre mixed coolants. You go into a main dealer buy the correct coolant and put it in without diluting and it is the same stuff that is already in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭aonfocaleile

mickdw wrote: »
    Does it have a red coolant or green or what? The different colours should never be mixed.

Don't understand this bit about the colours :confused:
    Its a Peugot 206; I've just checked and the coolant reservoir is pretty much empty so I think I'll do what I've always done and dilute the stuff I have with water and put it in. Never had a problem before, but the "de-ionized" thing has thrown me a bit.

Bottle says that for temperatures up to -11 degrees, dilute with 75% water

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Its a Peugot 206; I've just checked and the coolant reservoir is pretty much empty so I think I'll do what I've always done and dilute the stuff I have with water and put it in. Never had a problem before, but the "de-ionized" thing has thrown me a bit.

Halfrauds sell it....here for €4.50. It says its used for topping up batterys but this is the same stuff for mixing with the coolant. Is there much difference between ionized and distilled water, different purification method?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The coolant in your car should be a particular colour, be it pink, blue, green or whatever. Different types are specific colours and should not be mixed. Consult your car's manual for what type you should be using. You can get pre-mixed stuff in Halfords (not sure if they have the type suitable for your car), motor factors or as BrianD3 said from your dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

No one has mentioned this, so i'll just say it here, you shouldn't really need to top up your coolant to any great extent, unless you have a leak, which you might have based on that the coolant bottle is empty.

For now i would put in the 1L bottle you got, then top up with water (but not more than 3L, giving you the 75% mix. Make sure your internal heater is still working correctly.

Over the next few days, monitor the coolant level and check for leaks. Check the bottom of the timing belt cover for dripping, as the water pump does go on these. If the WP is going get it done ASAP before it takes out the timing belt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Water from a condenser tumble drier is suitable (and a lot cheaper!).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

esel wrote: »
    Water from a condenser tumble drier is suitable (and a lot cheaper!).

Why is that, just curious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Eh, because it's been condensed, and is free?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

esel wrote: »
    Eh, because it's been condensed, and is free?

What's the difference between tap water and condensed water from a drier. All the drier has done is converted the tap water used for washing/rinsing into vapour which has then cooled back into water. Still the same stuff or am I missing some chemical reaction here?

Hal1 mentioned de-ionised water, that's why I asked about the drier water ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The water from a condenser dryer has, effectively, been distilled. Any soluble impurities in the water are left behind when the water is turned into vapour.

Advertisement