Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD 500GB Portable USB Powered Hard Drive: £59.51 @Amazon

Options
  • 28-11-2009 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

Just saw this on hukd but it's defo worth a mention here.
    This is USB powered, It's 80euro ex shipping on komplett so this is a very good deal.
    Make sure to select super saver delivery.

This is what it comes to:

Order Total: GBP 59.51
    Payment Total: EUR 68,01**

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002COI612

Manufacturer's Description
    Designed with the same commitment to quality that made WD external drives the number one selling drives in the world, Western Digital’s WD Elements™ USB 2.0 portable hard drive is simple, easy-to-use, light and easy to carry. No need to carry a bulky power adapter;this drive get its power from the USB cable. Just plug it in to any USB port and start saving your photos, music, video, and files.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

I picked up one of these in the States - very impressive!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

this is a good deal, bought it in red for 108 plus delivery this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

thanks, just bagged one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Excuse my ignorance, but cant you get a 1TB external for about 20 euro extra ? Or is this a good deal because its USB and small ?

I know very little about external hard drives, but have been scouting around for a bargain in the last couple of days. Was gonna buy a 1TB one from amazon for around 90 euro.

For example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00238KZPM/ref=s9_sima_gw_s1_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1F4V8RNR29YVY4D41SK0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128473&pf_rd_i=468294

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001GO9ERE/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p23_t2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1F4V8RNR29YVY4D41SK0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Tusky wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but cant you get a 1TB external for about 20 euro extra ? Or is this a good deal because its USB and small ?

Pretty much. The portability and no need for external power makes it worth the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Thanks OP - just what I was looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Was just going to buy a dearer one during the week, thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

One last question. How come the price in the link is £56.33 yet it goes up to 59.51 when you try to pay for it ? The same thing is happening when I try order games from amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Amazon charge the Irish VAT rate on shipments to Ireland
    Divide the original price by 115 and multiply by 121.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I thought I saw the same model in PC world at Liffey Valley for 69 and the 1TB version for 89.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

DingDong wrote: »
    I thought I saw the same model in PC world at Liffey Valley for 69 and the 1TB version for 89.

That was prob an external powered model. USB powered are more portable and can be handier depending on your requirments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I only had a very quick look but I think it mention USB powered on the 500GB one. Wish I had of paid more attention but I only quickly walk by the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Scrunch

I only had a very quick look but I think it mention USB powered on the 500GB one

In PC World there were some USB powered 500GB ones mixed in with the external power ones - but more expensive when I got it price checked. Around 105 euro I think, didn't take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Put one of these together last year for €120 :mad:

(500 hdd & caddy at least it as Esata)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Nothing like a good Sunday morning plunge on the CC. Cheers OP. Great find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I also got this in the US just there on Black Friday. (courtesy of Best Buy)

Came to about €46 for me.

I'm quite happy with it, its a good product.
    I've always been a fan of western digitals drives and this is another of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

;)thanks Op... exactly what i was looking for

Boards is great

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

This says its not suitable for mac users but could i use it if i formatted it?

I was looking at the new model on pixmania for almost twice the price
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3544334/art/western-digital/my-passport-500-gb-portab.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bbor005

Been scouting around the net to see what the difference is between this drive and WD's 500gb Passport (which is slightly more expensive).

According to the people here, the passport comes with a 3 year warranty while the Elements drive only has a 1 year warranty.

Can anyone confirm this? My experience with external hard drives would make me suspicious of saving a few euro for the sake of 2 extra years on its warranty.

Edit: Just had a look at WD's warranty page and it's pretty confusing. Looks like the Elements drive has a 2 year warranty, with some Passport drives getting 3 years and others 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

bbor005 wrote: »
    Been scouting around the net to see what the difference is between this drive and WD's 500gb Passport (which is slightly more expensive).

Not what you're asking about but be aware that some users are not impressed with the implementation of micro usb on some of the newer passports. "Connector feels loose and likely to disconnect when bumped" being the prevailing criticism. [Link]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

cotwold wrote: »
    This says its not suitable for mac users but could i use it if i formatted it?

I was looking at the new model on pixmania for almost twice the price
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3544334/art/western-digital/my-passport-500-gb-portab.html
    Not suitable. WTF. Anyone here tried it with a Mac?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Bought the My Passport drive for £69.99 a few weeks ago from them & very very happy with it.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Passport-Essential-Portable/dp/B002KPW5IS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259578375&sr=1-3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Bought the My Passport drive for £69.99 a few weeks ago from them & very very happy with it.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Passport-Essential-Portable/dp/B002KPW5IS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259578375&sr=1-3

Does the micro USB connection seem secure? Have been lots of complaints about that feature. I was wondering if the connection has been made more secure as Western Digital have been offering replacement cables to those experiencing problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 xsre4u2

Bought a 500GB WD passport drive in Currys liffey valley yesterday for €89 - new shape to boot as well. Thought it was good deal as Komplett selling older shape for €91

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

Sherifu wrote: »
    Not suitable. WTF. Anyone here tried it with a Mac?

Can be easily reformatted for use with Macs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Just ordered it, thanks for the heads up OP :)

Does it have to be formatted to FAT32 for the Mac to regognise it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

€69.99 at Aldi. It's not WD, I know, but I've a 320GB version of this and very happy with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭dubmick

Slightly OT but I've just been reading some of the reviews of the new WD passport. The reviews are shocking! Very dissapointing. I know a lot of Bargain Alert posters have passports especially the people who bought the WD Media Player. I have a 250gb version (old) and I am very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭ooter

i ordered one of these last saturday and it still hasn't arrived...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Price has been reduced on this item (typical, the day after I purchased it) It's now 56.33£

Advertisement