Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa Meteor Display caught on film

Options
  • 28-11-2009 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    Found this on my internet travels yesterday and thought it may be of some interest to some folk here, obviously if it's in the wrong place please move it. I've linked to the Daily Telegraph article as I'm having some problems embedding the actual You-Tube footage. It is amazing how bright the meteor actually is, for wahtever reason I always though they only produced a small amount of light on entry to the atmosphere.

Link here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'd absolutely love to see these first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

This has happened a few times over the past few weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJFejgd9bSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgLNrTYrEnY (if you pause this at 8 seconds, you get an idea of how bright this thing was)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Probably due to the recent Leonids peak? Yes, no?

EDIT: That Utah one is class. You can see in the parking lot night briefly turns to day, as the sky lights up blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

jumpguy wrote: »
    Probably due to the recent Leonids peak? Yes, no?

EDIT: That Utah one is class. You can see in the parking lot night briefly turns to day, as the sky lights up blue.

I don't think they are connected to the Leonids. They are just too big.
    About 10 days before the Utah one, a small asteroid (about 6 metres long) came within 14,000km of Earth. Thats about 22,000km beneath the orbit of geostationary satellites. If it had entered the atmosphere it would have been one hell of a fireball.
    This asteroid (2009 VA) was not spotted until just over 12 hours before it shot past. Scary, huh ? :) Makes you wonder what else is heading our way that they have not noticed !!

NASA have plotted its orbit here. Just rewind back to about mid october, then go forward to 6th Nov. Keep an eye on the earth distance figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 krobo

Nice videos, thanks. I've been luck enough to see 2 such events over Dublin sky's, both over 7-8 years ago.

I'm hoping WISE goes to plan and brings some interesting results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Was there any reports of anyone hearing the explosion? Or was it in to high of orbit for the sound to travel, to the ground?

Advertisement