Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here ever run Boston?

Options
  • 27-11-2009 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

I have to chnace to run Boston next April - not because I qualified but thanks to a friend who's company sponsor the event. Please don't hate me those of you desperately trying to qualify.... :)

I ran dublin last october 4.15 and that was with fairly shoddy preparation. I'd like to go to Boston and give it a real go but is it difficult as everybody makes out (Heartbreak hill etc.)? How would it compare with Dublin for example, in terms of hills etc.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

If you can get an entry I'd run it. Over 1 million spectators alpng the route make it really enjoyable. The course is no where near as bad people/legend would have you believe. In my opinion it isn't much tougher than Dublin. Incorporate some moderate hills (like the ones in the Phoenix park) into your long to help combat the newton hills !

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Yea, I ran it in 2007 - with a massive positive split.

None of the hills on their own are that hard. I felt that it was the continuous change in gradient that thrashed my legs. Heartbreak Hill is nothing to be afraid of. It's slightly harder than Dublin but nothing major, the atmosphere alone more than makes up for any added difficulty. TheRoadRunner is spot on - find yourself a rolling course to train on, especially your long runs.

If you get the chance its really worth it. I'd love to go back and have another crack at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I ran it this year. It is not an easy course if you're looking to run a personal best, but if you take it easy enough during the first half then the hills during the second half are nothing to be afraid of. Heartbreak Hill, while not exactly easy, is not in the same league as the big hills at the end of Connemara or Dingle.

The spectators along the course make this a truly spectacular event and give the runners the full rock start treatment. Of course, if you're feeling low that can be a drawback, but if you have the chance then go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

dermCu wrote: »
    Yea, I ran it in 2007

+1. Poxy weather ! Still managed to run a PB though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

+1. Poxy weather ! Still managed to run a PB though :)

Funnily enough so did I. That was despite my best efforts at setting new 5k and 10k PBs along the way......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Sorry for delay coming back. Thanks for all the replies, very reassuring! Have started the training so fingers crossed it goes well. Looks like there's a good few around here doing Spring marathons so I reckon there'll be lot of interesting tales to tell over the coming months...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Everyone should pass the Wellesley College woman at least once in their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Brilliant. I have to do it now. 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

But don't get suckered into accelerating from 6:50 to 6:10 pace all of a sudden without noticing it.

Your legs might give out at mile 15. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Just outta curiosity, would any of you know if qualifying for Boston is based on finish time or chip time??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Just outta curiosity, would any of you know if qualifying for Boston is based on finish time or chip time??
    Chip-time.

Advertisement