Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Systems Course for Non-Electrical Engineers

Options
  • 27-11-2009 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

does anyone know of the above course (not sure if full or part time) apparently being run by UCD? if yes, then can you send me on some details?

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Heres the course info for it if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.ucd.ie/eem/documents/ME_Energy_Systems.pdf

As far as I know it takes one year to complete if you have an honours Electrical/Mechanical degree and year and a half if you are entering with a different technical degree, something like physics or geography.

E-mail the programme office and ask if you can come in to talk to someone. Specifically mention that you would like to have a brief chat with a current student as well if it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Heres the course info for it if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.ucd.ie/eem/documents/ME_Energy_Systems.pdf

As far as I know it takes one year to complete if you have an honours Electrical/Mechanical degree and year and a half if you are entering with a different technical degree, something like physics or geography.

E-mail the programme office and ask if you can come in to talk to someone. Specifically mention that you would like to have a brief chat with a current student as well if it is possible.

this course certainly interests me, but I am not in a position to do it on a full time basis - there are no plans to run this course on a part time basis unfortunately.

i am a chartered civil engineer with 8 years experience in the civil eng consultancy sector. however i have recently joined an electrical eng consultancy, and am now looking to make the transition to the elec eng sector.

as mentioned earlier, i am not in a position to do a course on a full time basis, so does anyone know of any part time courses which would give me a good grounding and starting point in electrical engineering?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MrDo

Hi did you get anything back on this query? I also was involved in Production now switched to Electrical and could do with a good elec course

MrDo wrote: »
    Hi did you get anything back on this query? I also was involved in Production now switched to Electrical and could do with a good elec course

Hi DrDo - I went with this distance part time course in Electrical Power System:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/elec-eng/eps/dl/

Its pretty challenging but getting through it slowly but surely - due to do my first exam in March

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MrDo

Thanks PGL much appreciated, I looked into your link. Is the material good and which course did you decide to do in the end?

• Advertisement

MrDo wrote: »
    Thanks PGL much appreciated, I looked into your link. Is the material good and which course did you decide to do in the end?

The course is called Electrical Power Systems (EPS). I am currently doing the Systems Fundamentals module. The material is challenging, but good, and also relevant to the line of work I am in - i.e. electrical engineering consultancy involved in grid connections etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Has anyone here actually done the course in UCD in Energy Systems Engineering?

Im looking to go back and do a full time postgrad while I have chance. My primary degree is from a electronic and electrical background.

I have been looking at one in particular in the UK. Im wondering does anyone know or have any additional info about it?

http://www.mastersportal.eu/students/browse/programme/5665/electrical-power-systems-engineering.html

Its geared towards power generation and transmission by the course modules.

Advertisement