Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing/Snowboarding exercises

Options
  • 27-11-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

I started my skiing specific plan about two weeks ago - used these exercises last year and I found them REALLY helpful. In order of what I found the most helpful - calf raises, leg extension, walking lunges, squats.

Still doing cardio - and upper body, need that strength for poling along any flat bits!

Which ones do you find good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Its all about core strength http://ultraskier.com/ski-fitness/core

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

beer!

practice those drinking games! essential to a good trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

granty1987 wrote: »
    beer!

practice those drinking games! essential to a good trip!

It's all about stamina... I've been practicing it for years. Why don't you get hangovers on ski holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Think its something to do with the cold air.

That and whats in the hip flask while you are waiting in the chair lift :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ditch hurler

you should trying doing 'the plank' (not pat kenny - google it), if its the core you want to strenghten. also slowly increase total alcohol consumption till your at expert level!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEghWeUdOIs

Planks and Bridges, using a swidss ball to make it more effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

honestly...i just go and hope for the best and have never had a problem...have started going to the gym more this year but more to lose a few pounds more so then "strenghten my core"

might try some of these excerises...not that i have much time left...im going in 19days!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

olaola wrote: »
    Why don't you get hangovers on ski holidays?

You mustn't be drinking properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Exercise for Boarding...

Beer
    Burritos
    Coke
    Beer
    Burritos
    Coke
    Burritos
    Coke
    eh..
    Beer....

A stretch of the legs in the morning is enough...

FruitLover wrote: »
    You mustn't be drinking properly!

Ahh I don't know now, I think I'm making a pretty decent attempt!

3210959402_08574bc0ca.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

4152067747_3eb5495b28.jpg
    I think we had 20 Jagermeisters balanced on top of the RedBulls that time. I'm the one in the hat at the end ready to set the train off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

olaola wrote: »
    Why don't you get hangovers on ski holidays?

That'll be the magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Jagerbombs away so bad but so good :D

Spent a night milling into them once thinking the lift would be closed due to a snow storm awoke to find fresh pow and and open lift.

Cried the whole way up in the Gondola but it was so worth the pain

FLUGERLS!

I get up - with the FEAR. Go down, shove my ski-breakfast in (even if I'm not feeling too hot). Which is a boiled egg, cheese & smoked ham in a semmel. And loads of tea. Then head up in the gondola, with butterflies in my stomach. Then once I'm on the snow, I'm flying! Then onwards to the first Gluwein stop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

i dont get hangovers when skiing!!! think its due to the air!!! same at oxegen but then again stopped drinking in the early hours and cracked the first can of col bulmers at about ten in the morning!!! nothing cures a hangover like more alcohol...and a good oul mc donalds if the hangover is really bad!!! :D

Advertisement