Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy her Lingerie

Options
  • 27-11-2009 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi Ladies,

Im a male but I need female advice.

What do females think when guys buy them lingerie for a present. Having heard stories from blokes of both positive and negative reactions from their GF's after buying them lingerie. It's hard to know what to do.

Just so you know, I feel awkward going into underwear shops/sections when Im shopping with her so me actually going out and buying stuff for her would be a big deal for me.

Can I have your opinions please?

Also what do you buy? Is there certains items that a girl should only buy for herself? Is there limits to what a guy should buy?

Bit of a debate going on here in the office

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Jewellery would be better :D
    Personally i'd hate to get Lingerie as a present, find it a little pervy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Oh that one's a minefield. If you buy anything too red and lacy you could be in the doghouse because she'll think you think she's a slut. If you buy something too plain well then you just think she's plain and she'll wonder why you didn't buy her something red and lacy.

It's a no win zone for a bloke so unless you're 100% don't go there.

Jewellery, again if you know what she likes, would be much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭dubdcugirly

I say go for it! As a previous poster said however no freaky stuff, if your girl wears lace underwear, buy lace underwear just in a style she doesnt have, no point in going for going to far off centre - same applies for type of knickers - if she wears frenchies buy frenchies don't going buying thongs etc!

I think if you get a pretty/sexy pair she will really appreciate it. Go for La Senza and BTs rather than Ann Summers to be on the safe side! They are always a good bet as she'll love the packaging too etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

It all depends - does she wear lingerie already? If she's not a lingerie kinda gal, don't buy it for her, it'll feel like you're pressuring her.

If she's already comfortable wearing it, definitely go for it! I don't really think there are limits as to what you should buy - more general common sense guidelines! Get something similar to what she already has and wears, nothing madly different or too fetishy. Get something classy, not trashy.

Make sure you buy the right size!! Have a good look through her underwear drawer and find out her bra size and knicker size and dress size before you buy anything. Also, do ask the sales assistants for help, that's what they're there for! Agent Provocateur in Brown Thomas is great for gift lingerie and the staff are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I would say go for it. Go to BT's and get something pretty and sexy, maybe ivory colour. As said before keep away from the G-strings and keep it classy. Good luck!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

why don't you go into agent provoceteur and get her a really sexy pair of knickers, they cost a bomb but are worth it if she knows the brand etc....

as dubcugirly don't go getting her lovely french knickers if she only wears thongs etc...

enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Definately go for it if
    • You are sure she will like it
    • You are certain she will be comfortable wearing it, that she has no objection to the item for any reason,
    • You know her size, and I mean know for sure, girls do sometimes lie
    Otherwise you may be better off playing it safe.

If you do go for it, Agent Provoceteur as mentioned is the way to go if you can afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

First of all,does she wear lingerie herself? if she does,you can be pretty sure she likes it,and would love it as a present BUT you have to be careful,get something pretty classy and sexy,NOT trashy,this will offend her...I recommend LaSenza and up,price wise...try go for something similiar to what she wears,eg material,colour etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Must Have Music

ugh i would HATE to get lingerie as a present - I'd much rather buy it myself, otherwise it seems too pervy, or just like a present for the guy, not for me! don't do it!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Yeah.... I'm not sure - I received lingerie as a present once and it sort of annoyed me; First off, I buy myself quite a lot of lingerie and this wasn't half as nice as the sort of thing I would buy for myself. Secondly I knew that the present was meant more for him than for me, if you get me, and that irritated me.

So tread carefully, would be my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

Id be delighted if my bf bought me lingerie! Its the thought of him going into a shop and making the effort to buy it for me, as I can imagine its a lil uncomfortable for most guys (especially if theyre a beer, footy and man-stuff guy like mine!)

That said, make sure you know the size (too small she will feel embarased, too large she will get offended-that and it makes the present useless for both of you!)

Also, same advice as before-nothing kinky, unless you know shes into it! Granted it can be a fun way to introduce stuff she might feel embarased getting herself but if youre unsure about buying her lingerie in general-stick to ivory or black lace, classy, simple, cute rather than overtly sexy.

Aget Provocatur would be amazing, as from a girl who practically lives in lingerie its difficult to splash out on it for yourself without feeling incredibly guilty, so its the ultimate in luxury. La Senza would be nice too though if youre on a budget. Id avoid Ann Summers-a lot of their stuff isnt brilliant quality and La Senza etc tend to have much better range of styles.

if you go into Agent Prov. the girls in there are amazing and will be used to seeing guys like you coming in buying gifts, so dont be afraid to ask for their advice! Youre girl will appreciate it!

I dont think its a sleazy gift at all! Get her something else small and sentimental (purely for her, with no use to you whatsoever) so she cant get pissed off but i wouldnt have thought many girls would take it that way. I could be wrong however, and only you know your girlfriend so use your judgement!

And do not get her underwear from Dunnes or Pennys, no matter how pretty!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 j4supporter

This is the thing that worries. Some of you have good points. I might leave it and get her perfume and jewellery. She is probably sick of them but I don't fancy being hit with a christmas tree on christmas day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Must Have Music

its definitely less risky to go with something else! good choice, hope ya stick with it!:)

Advertisement