Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MK3 JCB

Options
  • 27-11-2009 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Lads
    I rescued a MK3 JCB back in spring that had been lyin up for 15 years and have been using it regular since. It uses a good drop of oil and is pretty smokey.
    Earlier this week i was using it to move some gravel and all of a sudden a banging noise started under the bonnet so i shut it off straight away and had a look. There was a belt (like a fan belt) hanging on the shaft that drived the hudraulic pump out in front of the engine and I cant figure out for the life of me where it came from. The fan belt is still on tight around fan and alternator. Had anyone any expierience with these I am baffled. I have no idea where the belt around the shaft came from, I had to cut it to get it off and the banging is still there. It could be a bearing gone in the engine granted but its the belt thats annoying me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

just a suggestion, but I know that any time we would have to put a new fanbelt on a JCB we would always put in a second one and tie it in securely with cable ties. This is because its so difficult to change them, that if the one on it did break, there would be another one that could be fitted around the pullys quickly, with no need to go dismantling to get a new one onto the bottom pully.

Posability that this may have been done on yours, its common practice, and it just came off,

as for the banging, nearly impossibe to tell with out seeing or hearing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

just a suggestion, but I know that any time we would have to put a new fanbelt on a JCB we would always put in a second one and tie it in securely with cable ties. This is because its so difficult to change them, that if the one on it did break, there would be another one that could be fitted around the pullys quickly, with no need to go dismantling to get a new one onto the bottom pully.

Posability that this may have been done on yours, its common practice, and it just came off,

as for the banging, nearly impossibe to tell with out seeing or hearing it.

Thats a feckin great idea! Wish it could be done with some of the newer lorries out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

maybe the spare belt got caught on the cooling fan and damaged it.
    the fan might be hitting the cowl around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭motorman

Thanks for the replys lads,
    I did some more asking around, and it turns out that the digger came with a second belt on it to make it easy yo replace.
    As for the bang rattle noise I think the shaft that drives the pump out of the front of the engine has a bearing gone.

A few pics of the JCB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

That cab takes me back.

I remember a 3D round my old mans work place when I was a cub

Yea... The cab is gona fall off one of these days it is rusted very bad, It did a good bit of work on the coast over in mayo back in the day and shows signs of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

you can still get new replacement cabs for them from the uk. awd engineering.
    i dont know the price or you could get on made up fairly cheaply .

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭paulmallon

i have a digger same as yours, and the hardy splicer went on that drive shaft which drives the pump at the front. it made a noise same as you are describing

Advertisement