Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been plumbed

Options
  • 27-11-2009 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi Guys,
    Quick question here on a plumber that I called to fix a problem with my gas boiler. Not sure if I'm using all the right terminology but sure I'll give it a go.

The guy called round, identified that the fuse on the circuit in the boiler had been blown. Was his last job of the night and came at short notice, seemed like a decent guy. He changed the fuse, but said he would need to come back tomorrow to finish the job to see what was causing the fuse to blow. He pointed out what he thought it was, which was a cable leading to the ignition spark, so he was going to come back the next day to fix that. Also I said I wouldn't mind getting it service too, as it's been a few years and I've never had it serviced.

So I left him a key and I headed off to work the next day. I missed his call when he was leaving but he left a message saying it turns out that it was the pump that was causing the fuse to blow, so he replaced the pump unit, had done the service and had left an invoice. I got home to see the invoice... 85 for service (grand), 15 to replace the fuse (also grand), but 220 to replace the pump, a total of €320!

So my first question is, is €220 a fair price to replace a pump?

Second, do I have any way of knowing that I needed a new pump, and that it was the pump that was causing the fuse to blow?... I've lived here for 5 years and the fuse has never gone before, but maybe this is a common problem?

Third, is it not possible to fix a pump rather than replace the whole unit... it was not that old (maybe 8 years), I would have thought a blown fuse would be caused by some small electrical short circuit that could be repaired?

Finally, shouldn't he have called me first given that the expense was so big, maybe I could have got a 2nd opinion... Is this standard practise, or do I have any comeback?

Problem I have is I honestly now have no idea if he's being genuine or not, as I say he seemed decent and I dont want to be calling him out on it if he's not in the wrong... maybe if someone can help me with the above answers I can get a clearer picture?

Thanks in advance boardees!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I'll move this to home applicances, I think you will get an answer faster there, if not PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭gar.k

HIYA

The best thing to do is get the model number of your boiler and see how much a new pump is.you can easily do this on the internet or any boiler suppliers.
    I repair domestic appliances including gas appliances.The pumps i would fit are anywhere between 80 and 200 euro.
    Although 8 years does not seem long, the lifespan of a part like this is 5-10 years.
    In my opinion the only thing he did wrong was fit the part without giving you a quote.You could always ask him for the faulty pump but I would say that has been disposed of.
    I reckon even if you had shopped around you would have been charged in or around 300 Euro.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

I do a good bit of this kind of work myself and I agree with gar.k, it all sounds reasonable enough. He probably didn't ring you because what else are you going to say but yes? Also just to add, those pumps are sealed units and can't be repaired. If I was you I'd be taking issue with the price of the fuse, not the pump ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maperoo

Hi guys... thx for the input, maybe not so bad afterall so.
    cheers,
    al

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its a fair price if it was the fault but how are you to know. The price of pump varies between 80 and 150 euro so again it all depends on the model. 15 euro for a 3 amp fuse is a bit cheeky but then again. Board gais is doing a service for 110 so the logic I use is the service was 100 and 220 for the boiler repair which is about standard.

I am not to sure where you live though. I live in drogheda and the chap I use to repair my heating has always been fair. For example he charges 60 euro for a service with the cert.

Finally what price is heat. If your boiler went in the middle of summer you could price around but at this time of year, get it fixed or you will be paying another 50 euro to the doctor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement