Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brokedown Clio please help!

Options
  • 27-11-2009 3:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey

Just wondering if anyone can give me some info.

Basically I drive a 00-Clio with 74k I have it 6 months. Had a problem a couple of months after I bought it where it wouldn't start and cut out with engine ticking over while stationary. Got the spark plugs changed and was told I needed the sensor changed to that connects this? (not sure what this means so if anyone can explain please do but know I never got the sensor one to be honest I forgot about it). Last week I topped up water/coolant/antifreeze as it was low not sure if relevent!

Tonight when driving down the M50 I heard a little popping sound then a hissing sound. Car then slowed down so I pulled over as it appeared to be stopping altogether lucky I made it to hard shoulder. Some man stopped and tried jump starting it no luck as obviously not the battery then he noticed that engine was covered in oil and top has come off the oil too.

Called insurance company who sent out someone to tow the car away. He had a look and said that timing belt was not moving around and he wasn't sure if it had come off or just gone altogether. I asked him could this blow top off the oil and he said maybe. I'm not sure about all this and would love some advice ie what it could be and also how much it will cost to get fixed as I don't want to get screwed.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If the timing belt is broken or slipped off the engine will have destroyed itself in a matter of seconds. It'll definitely need a new engine and is probably scrap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Sounds very like the belt has snapped, so replacement engine.
    You'll probably be taking around €450 to €500 to get it replaced
    by a mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Muckie wrote: »
    Sounds very like the belt has snapped, so replacement engine.
    You'll probably be taking around €450 to €500 to get it replaced
    by a mechanic.

Thats doesnt include the engine surely?

Yep, i've sourced and fitted them for that price. Shop around
    folks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its a Renault and a Clio..........thats your problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Hey

Just wondering if anyone can give me some info.

Basically I drive a 00-Clio with 74k I have it 6 months. Had a problem a couple of months after I bought it where it wouldn't start and cut out with engine ticking over while stationary. Got the spark plugs changed and was told I needed the sensor changed to that connects this? (not sure what this means so if anyone can explain please do but know I never got the sensor one to be honest I forgot about it). Last week I topped up water/coolant/antifreeze as it was low not sure if relevent!

Tonight when driving down the M50 I heard a little popping sound then a hissing sound. Car then slowed down so I pulled over as it appeared to be stopping altogether lucky I made it to hard shoulder. Some man stopped and tried jump starting it no luck as obviously not the battery then he noticed that engine was covered in oil and top has come off the oil too.

Called insurance company who sent out someone to tow the car away. He had a look and said that timing belt was not moving around and he wasn't sure if it had come off or just gone altogether. I asked him could this blow top off the oil and he said maybe. I'm not sure about all this and would love some advice ie what it could be and also how much it will cost to get fixed as I don't want to get screwed.

Thanks!!!

Is there any possibility that when you were topping up the coolant last week, that you also checked the oil level and forgot to put the oil filler cap back on the engine properly??? I can't think of any other way that the engine can be covered in oil and the oil cap can also be missing...

If this is the case, the engine could have run out of oil and seized up, causing the timing belt to snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

fryup wrote: »
    its a Renault and a Clio..........thats your problem
    Any more trolling and you'll be taking a week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Jaysus thats cheap. I presume its a recon or from a breakers yard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sunflowerhoney6

Either way i'll be shelling out money least i've an idea so I'll know when the mechanic comes back to me today with a price! Didn't think it would be as bad as €500!

No when I checked the oil you don't need to go near the oil cap as the dip stick is in a different place so I wouldnt have touched it!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€500 is a conservative price. you could be looking at twice that depending on where you go and where they source their engine.

• Advertisement

the guy I go to is pretty good the odd time has just charged me for parts and not service so hopefully it doesn't cost twice that price either way i'm pretty screwed anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

€500 is about just basically, getting a decent 2nd engine(well as decent
    as you could guess), always try to get one with lower milage than your own. Its a bit of a risk, but so far the ones we done are still going.

Hey,

So here's the update......I was told now that my problem was actually my water pump. It seems it was leaking and that is what made my timing belt slip off. The mechanic said that he doesn't think I need a new engine he said that I need a new water pump, timing belt and the valves fixed and has quoted me €800 for this. Please any advice would be very welcome also is this a reasonable price.

Thanks!

ps. If anyone knows of any good reasonable mechanic that would do it for less please could they pm so I could phone around for quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Whereabouts are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

What planet did you just come from?

Second hand engine = €300.00
    timing belt kit = €90.00
    water pump = €50.00
    service kit =50.00

All prices are approx but I wouldnt be far out now add in a days labour at fifty euro an hour and you are a long way out.

Op my advice would be to find out was there coolant still in the engine or did it overheat.

If it didnt overheat I would go with an engine rebuild if it did overheat then replace the engine because you dont know what other damage could be done to the bottom end of the engine.

Rathgar but car is being stored in Walkinstown for couple of days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Rathgar but car is being stored in Walkinstown for couple of days

It's not just a matter of changing the water pump here. This fact that the pump has failed has caused the timing belt to come off and valve timing to be lost while the engine was running or trying to start. So the OP is likely into valvetrain damage, etc...

Advertisement