Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Made it to 2nd trimester!

Options
  • 26-11-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hey everybody, where are you all in your pregnancies? I've made it to my second trimester and I'm so happy. Praise the Lord. I really can't wait to meet my baby and really looking forward to Christmas when I'll have a bigger belly :). Hope everyone is well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

aw im so happy for you. I remember how ridiculously excited I was to say I was in the second trimester...made it feel real!!

I'm 26 weeks today. Officially in the 3rd trimester. I'm fat, my hip has gone, im really tired and I'm worried I wont get everything ready in time! lol But am so excited to meet the little girl! Seriously, counting down the weeks now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

That is great news...we are heading for the half way ourselves now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

27 weeks from tomorrow!!! keep alternating between excited and terrified. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 miamiamia

21 weeks tomorrow, cant believe it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Congratulations :)

36 weeks for us now... still don't believe that we're having a baby! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

It's so great you are all progressing well, it's a gift for us all. Last night it occured to me that I am actually going to have to give birth!! I watched a birth video on youtube and burst into tears at the end of it, half from fear and also because it was actually amazing! I think I would feel most comfortable having my baby at home but I know it's safer at hospital. I'm just not knowing what to expect from having a baby in hospital, I'm imagining a really unrelaxed atmosphere with big lights on me oh god. I'd love it with dim lights and a calm surrounding. As long I have a healthy baby I suppose it doesn't matter about the little things.. Well done everyone so far! Anyone got any funny stories about their pregnancies so far? ;-):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭the-furbo

Im 33 weeks on my first.....please let the next 7 weeks go fast....no doubt ill want them to slow down second i go into labour!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Hey LaLucy, me too! Am nearly 16 wks, so relieved to have made it. I can make out a bump now, so it's beginning to be real and now telling people isn't such a big deal.

LaLucy wrote: »
    It's so great you are all progressing well, it's a gift for us all. Last night it occured to me that I am actually going to have to give birth!! I watched a birth video on youtube and burst into tears at the end of it, half from fear and also because it was actually amazing! I think I would feel most comfortable having my baby at home but I know it's safer at hospital. I'm just not knowing what to expect from having a baby in hospital, I'm imagining a really unrelaxed atmosphere with big lights on me oh god. I'd love it with dim lights and a calm surrounding. As long I have a healthy baby I suppose it doesn't matter about the little things.. Well done everyone so far! Anyone got any funny stories about their pregnancies so far? ;-):)

If you have trouble free prenancy and no medical conditions you can go for home birth on your next one :D See how the hospital works out and if you still wanna do it at home after - go for it. You can even do it for free if you go with Holles St community midwives.

this is what I'm planning to do myself, anyway.

are you a public patient?

Congratulations :)

can't believe it either... even with all the evidence!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm coming up on 32 weeks now and am actually looking forward to the birth now. Been reading a few childbirth books and they're really helpful.

I'm definitely someone who wants to know as much as possible in advance (I'm like this with everything).

I honestly don't know when it'll all feel real to me, people are saying when he's born but don't want to feel pressure to feel a certain way if I don't, so I'm gonna let myself see how it goes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We're right behind you (edit: and just ahead of DK! edit2: and the same as furbo!).....33 weeks now. Can't wait. You might have a Christmas baby!

I'm the same Das Kitty. Only 26 weeks....but reading up on birth all the time. Figure I should get an early start just in case I got into an early labour or something.

Maybe I'm weird...but I'm not worried about it at all. Even thinking about all the pain and horibleness. I'm just kinda chilled...like my body is just slowly preparing itself.

hacked wrote: »

Maybe I'm weird...but I'm not worried about it at all. Even thinking about all the pain and horibleness. I'm just kinda chilled...like my body is just slowly preparing itself.

I'm a midwife so I know exactly whats in store and I'm not at all worried either! If it was that bad I'm sure people wouldn't go on to have more children after their first :)

I'm a midwife so I know exactly whats in store and I'm not at all worried either! If it was that bad I'm sure people wouldn't go on to have more children after their first :)

oh wow..i didn't realise you were a midwife! That must be such an incredible job....and so weird for you having a baby too...to be on the other side!

Glad to know I'm not the only freak out there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

I will have to read all about childbirth and loads of other things too. I'm planning to breastfeed my baby for at least 5 months and I'm really looking forward to that. Wow I never knew you could have homebirth for free. Will look into it if I am lucky enough to have another baby after this one:). I have really wanted to be a mother for such a long time and really feel strongly that I was meant to be a mother first and foremost over anything else. After only about 6months of meeting my boyfriend we both knew we wanted children together! I remember some man coming up to us in the pub and telling us to go for it and saying he is married with kids and it's the best thing ever. We didn't even know him or get a chance to speak he just came up, said it and walked away!
    It's so great to be pregnant! I really want to let go of my fears and enjoy it! Has anyone got any cravings? Mmm I love the cheese and mushroom sandwiches from marks and spencers cafe they are soo tasty!
    I'm looking forward to being a pig at christmas :) yipee. I got a gorgeous dress from ebay, I saw it on littlewoods.ie where it was 69euro then on ebay there were loads of them for less than 30! It's a black and white ball dress :). Hope you're all feeling great x x x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

I'm in my 17th week now and at last am looking less like someone who's 'eaten all the pies' cuz my bump is getting more solid.
    Really looking forward to feeling the baby move, every day I'm like 'please let today be the day'!:D
    Is it just me or does anyone else feel the time is absolutley flying!!??

yeah I know....really feels like the time is flying. That is good though....time moving slowly...especially when you get huge is awful. I've been textbook perfect by size at all my measurements...but im like growing by the day. Literally. Like people who haven't seen me for two days will notice a difference. Agh!!

So what's the deal with breastfeeding. Are you supposed to do it for the first 6 months or can you do it longer? I really need to find out about the breast feeding work shops in holles street. I was hoping to go to two of them before the baby is born.

y
    So what's the deal with breastfeeding. Are you supposed to do it for the first 6 months or can you do it longer? I really need to find out about the breast feeding work shops in holles street. I was hoping to go to two of them before the baby is born.

WHO recommends exclusive breastfeeding for 1st 6 months and then breastfeeding+solids until 2 years. How long you feed is pretty much up to you. Some people wait for their kids to self-wean. Basically as long as you and your kid still enjoy it.

I'm planning to go to a BF class in Holles st. this December with OH, so I don't feel too awkward...But I have a feeling will need to come again myself later because I'll forget everything...

I will have to read all about childbirth and loads of other things too. I'm planning to breastfeed my baby for at least 5 months and I'm really looking forward to that. Wow I never knew you could have homebirth for free. Will look into it if I am lucky enough to have another baby after this one:). I have really wanted to be a mother for such a long time and really feel strongly that I was meant to be a mother first and foremost over anything else. After only about 6months of meeting my boyfriend we both knew we wanted children together! I remember some man coming up to us in the pub and telling us to go for it and saying he is married with kids and it's the best thing ever. We didn't even know him or get a chance to speak he just came up, said it and walked away!
    It's so great to be pregnant! I really want to let go of my fears and enjoy it! Has anyone got any cravings? Mmm I love the cheese and mushroom sandwiches from marks and spencers cafe they are soo tasty!
    I'm looking forward to being a pig at christmas :) yipee. I got a gorgeous dress from ebay, I saw it on littlewoods.ie where it was 69euro then on ebay there were loads of them for less than 30! It's a black and white ball dress :). Hope you're all feeling great x x x

yeah, you can have a free Home birth if you are in the catchment area. They do have limited number of staff, so you'll need to inform them really early on that you are interested..

pregnancy in confusing..

• Advertisement

yeah I know....really feels like the time is flying. That is good though....time moving slowly...especially when you get huge is awful. I've been textbook perfect by size at all my measurements...but im like growing by the day. Literally. Like people who haven't seen me for two days will notice a difference. Agh!!

You can breastfeed for as long as you feel comfortable doing it! Obviously its considered best for the baby and for you too. All those fat stores you're laying down now are designed to support you while you breastfeed. The best way to lose them is to breastfeed :) I hope our baby is hungry cos I have ALOT of fat stores :rolleyes:

La Lache League and Quidu also do brreatfeeding workshops, I'm not sure if they are antenatal ones tho. Its a good idea to look into where and when your local breastfeeding workshops/support groups are held and plan to attend them. Breastfeeding is meant to be tough so if you really want to BF for 6 months, the more support you have the better!

If you start breatfeeding and it really doesn't agree with you/you don't enjoy it, its important not to put pressure on yourself either. At the end of the day you need to enjoy your baby, so as long as its fed, thats all that matters really!

Thanks guys, I was just wondering. Most people I talk to seem to only breastfeed for the first 6 months, but honestly I'd like to try for longer if possible. Not toooo much longer....I Dont want a weird child about to start school and still pulling at mommys top for a drink!! :eek:

I've heard it really hurts at the start, which I am totally expecting anyway. My nipples hurt now, I doubt a pair of hard gums gnawing at them would make it any better!!

Has anyone else done the breast feeding courses yet? I mentioned Holles Street as I know they have one day walk in classes twice a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I breastfed my first for 9 months and the first few days are hard until the milk comes in but if you get help with the positioning of baby to the breast early on it cuts down on the sore nipple issue. it is perservance for the first 2 -3 weeks but after this it's so handy, no washing sterilising making bottles just latch them on for 20 mins and away you go...:D and when you do get the hang of it you can express so daddy can do his bit!! ;) it contracts your tummy too for a few days after the birth but this is nature getting you back in shape..!! some practical advice would be not to use shower gels on your breasts as this can dry out your skin and add to the cracking nipples!! find out about moisturisers nipple shields and all the aids that are out there.. good luck with it..!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

From my current position of not having tried BF (shaky!!) I recommend this book:

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/212445/Bestfeeding/Product.html

It's very practical and has plenty of diagrams of how to hold a newborn and what their face looks like when latched on correctly. I read it all in about 3 nights and anyone who knows how slowly I read knows that's very fast!

It's in my maternity bag now.

I know some people have a lot tighter budget than me, so this info is also available on the internet. It might be an idea to print off some of the diagrams to bring with you in your hospital bag.

thanks guys! I just started thinking about BF the other day and realities of everything. I would really like to try breastfeeding for the first full year at least...maybe a little longer as I know its really good for the child. I'll probably express by that point though. Anyway, I just wanted to get it out there as I wasn't sure if that was considered really weird or not!

Thanks for the book Das, i'll definately have to look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

Hey everybody, where are you all in your pregnancies? I've made it to my second trimester and I'm so happy. Praise the Lord. I really can't wait to meet my baby and really looking forward to Christmas when I'll have a bigger belly :). Hope everyone is well

So have I this week! Have done my blood and history yesterday... It's all falling into place slowly but surely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I'm in my 17th week now and at last am looking less like someone who's 'eaten all the pies' cuz my bump is getting more solid.

That's gas I was the same, I was so delighted when I finally had a noticeable bump at about 20 weeks as before that I just looked like I'd 'let myself go'!

The time is definitely after flying, it only seems like a few days ago that we did the pregnancy test yet now we're week 29+ & officially third trimester :)

I'm loving every minute of it. I had a checkup in the hospital on Monday and was delighted when the doctor was able to tell me what way the baby was lying.
    She has been kicking the living daylights out of me 24/7 so it was nice to see what bits of here are moving!
    It looked like someone had pitched a little tent in the middle of my tummy at one stage over the weekend but it was just a little elbow stretching, so surreal!

I do miss not having a belly button any more (its officially gone now!) and can only just still see my toes :D

@Hacked - Gina ford's 'Contented little baby book' has a really good section on BF well worth a read.
    I don't think they do BF classes here in Kilkenny just La Leche meeting once month which I keep managing to miss so I'm trying to read up as much info on it as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

38 weeks tomorrow.. due christmas eve.. moved house on friday haven't seen my feet in weeks and have indigestion that would burn though steel...:eek: waiting anxiously for our house sale to close.. delayed again:mad: is very stressful as i can't really give up work til it does.. boo hoo ...but on the up side i love the new house (renting for 9 months) and so do the kids so that's a lot less stress..so keep fingers crossed that it works for us.! and i got nappies and things for my bag!!!lol everyone was giving out to me for not having it ready!! :D just have to put it all in a bag now:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm breastfeeding for the first time with my new baby ( didnt even try with my first ) and I was worried about getting it right having heard all the horror stories

What I was really surprised by was that my local health nurse could put me in contact with a breast feeding counsellor and after an hour in her company last week I feel I've mastered the art of bf :D

This woman is actually based in the health centre and you make an appointment to see her and she talks you through everything. You can make follow up appointments if you feel you need them

I'm not sure if every health centre has one but its well worth checking out..I found it an hour very well spent

Advertisement