Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold Start II

• 07-11-2009 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

I've just used my mod super powers to cheat, and split these posts from a previous log which had more posts from well wishers than it did records of my training.

Ambitions were stated and missed. I've a vague idea where I want to get. But before settling on them my only aim for the time being is to build a base. Strength, and a habit of training again. 2 months of regular training. Use that as a platform (and perhaps another log ;) )

3-11-09

5k. 23 minutes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

4.7K- 23 minutes.

Pre breakfast, and with more than my share of a bottle of vino last night.

stopped to walk twice. Struggle tbh.

Lower calves in some pain now, and were a little stiff from Tuesdays exertions as it was.

I've never been certain what to do re: food and early training. It was never an issue for LSD on the bike, I had control of my HR and could eat a muesli breakfast minutes before going for a spin. Gym was different, I'd have a protein shake on my over to it. Just so happened pre breakfast was the only time I was going to get out this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

If I'm in a rush, I'll have a couple of bites of a banana and that seems to take the edge off. You should be ok without food for 5-10k distances. Just try to eat as soon as you get in.

Foam roller can be good for the calves.

4.8k 21' 30"

felt better about it as well. A little cocky halfway when I decided to up tempo over a bridge which took a few mins to feel comfortable after.

Pilates session today (have been doing this for a couple of months).

It tends to occasionally cause a numbness down my legs - I imagine it's caused by one of the back stretches.

My broad thesis is to build a base up. I think that will be done by 3*5K runs a week over the next few? weeks. And then build one of those runs up to 10K.

I'm really unsure how quickly or slowly to build up. On the face of it the 50/55 minutes a 10K will take on present pace is not a long work out, although I'm conscious these things need to be built up - for physical and mental reasons

ambitions for a double header fri / sat have been put aside due to a pain in my calf that was triggered by a mildly awkward step off a ledge which hurt.

Very sore to the thumb dug in, never really experienced anything like this, so taking it easy until Tuesday.

• Advertisement

still aware of my heel (part of the calf issue), I'd planned a session on my turbo trainer this evening, 40 mins without any weight on it.

then this evening, prodding at my heel produced a very sharp pain which I'd also experienced trying to stretch it out. So I'm prescribing rest and nurofen gel. Might have to consider whether to bus it to work or maybe wear the runners for the walk or something

neglected to add, Pilates session yesterday.

Anti inflamms and ice on my achilles yesterday, and more of the same today. Away for the weekend, so I'll leave it until after that. Unfortunately, I've no way of avoiding walking on it, which doesn't hurt, but isn't resting.

Achilles is still bugging me. Not as badly, and I've done a fair bit of walking on it. Missed a physio session with my cold, so I'll reschedule.

Have had a cold for the last week, and so other than a pilates session, this evening was my first raised heart rate since my last posted session.

All I did was 15 minutes on the turbo trainer. Strange. Only work I'd ever done on my turbo trainer were very specific, heart rate monitor based sessions many moon ago. No HRM, and no feedback. Not much fun, but I figured that the bike would stress my achilles less.

Pilates session.

20 mins on turbo trainer - moderate pace.

Achilles still at me - physio scheduled for tomorrow.
    Cough still present, but not really an issue.

physio session on my calf /achilles - no big deal, but it had been rested from jogging since the 10th.

4.8K run - 20mins 20 seconds. Pace felt good at start, then I slowed unsure of myself, with a half K to go I realised I'd left some behind me.

Flared up my cough a little too.

This was my first back to back exercise session, and I had been aware of my cycle yesterday through the day, so happy enough with myself.

above right ankle to the sides (especially inside) at me a little during jog.

• Advertisement

7.2KM

31mins 24 secs.

Fairly stoked with that.

First time running that distance, so very deliberately took it easy. Feeling paranoid about little twinges - left quad felt funny. Stomach a little dicky. Above right ankle again at me, but not as conscious of it today.

Reasonably comfortable with the distance, and was stunned by the time tbh. I had been thinking sub 35 to myself, and kept telling myself that I needed to finish the distance first and foremost.

4-12-09

1 hr Pilates

25 mile bike ride - 1hr 30.

Buffeted by wind a little. More power than last time I was on a bike. Felt fairly good. Endurance not an issue.

1 hr Pilates session.

Rest of the week is a little hectic evening time. Might have to consider lunch / morning sessions. With chrimbo related cheer dominating that might represent the best means of keeping the show on the road.

8.7K and a real plod. No spark at all.

Real step up in distance and I'm feeling it now an hour or two later. Bloody calves. Also of issue was my right ankle again, or rather the support just above it. Gait analysis might be appropriate, even though I had been thinking to myself that HTFU might be more in order.

Time 39mins 37. Which once again came as a pleasant surprise given the real slow pace.

First out and back session, which was something of a struggle mentally, knowing I was covering distance which was only extending the journey home.

Physio scheduled for tomorrow. Up for discussion is the numbness down my left leg, ongoing neck issues and a generally poor back (which did make itself known this evening a little bit) Based on that list, it may not be my only visit!

EDIT: post physio visit I've been advised that long distance jogging is not compatible with my back! So I've taken up shop in the cycling log forum. Thanks

Advertisement