Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG intervarsity change!

Options
  • 26-11-2009 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hi all,

We are having a problem with our venue. Would it be okay with everyone to switch to Sunday 24th from Saturday 23rd of Janurary?

Or other option is to start on Saturday at 8am and have the hall cleared by 5p.m.

Let me know which way works for you.

Please include your college name in your posts.

Thanks and sorry!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭cailinardthair

what about the barebow championship? would there be one if the iv is moved!
    megan
    gmit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 olymacfoogal

I'm not sure about the barebow champs. The fact that nimes is on that wkend would mean the turnout would not be great. We still have both days booked tho. I'll talk to Mac and get him to post about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SilverDragon

This presents the same problems for DCU as the original plan does.

We have exams then, as do other colleges.

Yes we understand the problem. We cannot change from that weekend. This is something we will look at next year. The iaaa calender meeting would have been the time to oppose the date as the hall is booked solid now.

I thought it had been proposed that colleges could use their best five out of six intervarsities to give some slack to teams and individuals for this sort of thing and emergencies.

Ideally I'd like to find out if colleges care one way or another for an early start and early finish on the Saturday or move to the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

dkit had an early start and managed to be finished befor half 3 i don't mind as long as my drivers don't mind that is

Phil LIT(and yes it is a real college)

• Advertisement

Sorry to be pedantic, but I have at many occasions mentioned the problem with these dates. Last year I said it to the guys at NUIG, and was told that it wouldnt happen again. On September 8th I sent a message to Daniel outlining the problem we have with exams etc. And at the calendar meeting I said it to Mick. I was told that you'd "look into it".

As for the best 5 out of 6, I was under the assumption that the rules were that way for the individual, but, correct me if I am mistaken, all the IVs for a team.

Ah I see, well if the issue was raised at the iaaa calender meeting I have no idea why it wasn't resolved. I was not there but from my understanding that is when the date was set.

No way to move it now. You seem pretty miffed about it and I would be too.

I don't know either way if it's all intervarisites or not. If I was you I would be gunning for 5 out of 6 and pointing the finger at us when asked why...

Ok we are trying to move it. We might not be able to but we will try. I think we may have tried already because of what you mentioned but couldn't get anything. We may have to try licking a few more b***s this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭MicS

As for the best 5 out of 6, I was under the assumption that the rules were that way for the individual, but, correct me if I am mistaken, all the IVs for a team.

Correct, all IVs count for team league score.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 128 ✭✭MuchSavage

Before this starts getting out of hand can I please clarify a few things. . .

The date for this year was put in last year to the Kingfisher, neither myself or Danny and input to the date chosen.

At the calender meeting it was pointed out that there is a competition in Nimes which would affect the numbers for the Sunday Shoot, also it was noted that the Dublin colleges would have exams coming up. I did take this on board to see if we could resolve the problem.

We did approach the Sports Officers about the date and request a change, there was only one possibility but that fell threw last week. So we are left with 23rd/24th for the minute. I am trying to see if i can organize a later date for the IV, but it is not looking to easy as the Kingfisher is not just a college club but a public one too, so there is always something on. If we can get this done I would be happy to oblige as it would be in our interests to have as many people at the shoot for both dates, it wouldn't be worth our while otherwise.

We have been approached by the Kingfisher over the IV times at the minute in one respect. The Galway Training Course has been moved from Dangan to the Kingfisher, as Dangan cannot accommodate the times for Sat and Sun. As they are taking the course for the weekend, we have been asked could be vacate the Kingfisher by 17:00 on the sat of the IV, this is what Olly was suggesting to clarify where we were coming from.

Please if you can hold on and we can see what we can do to change it. I am well aware of the dates for the IV clashing with exams as I was in DIT myself before. However, I would like to point out that out of the past 4 years NUIG's competitions were always on the same date expect for one, and this is the first opposition I've noticed about it. Before when NUIM IV's where on the Galway colleges had exams too, so there will always be a clash somewhere with somebody.

If it is not possible to change the IV at all, then it could be proposed for this year alone to count 5/6 IV's towards the team scores for the end of the year, relieving the pressure from the Dublin colleges to come up. Also as you know GMIT nor ourselves could make it to DKIT due to the flooding over this side of the country, leaving us down one IV score ourselves. This way all colleges would be level for the year, and hopefully see if NUIG can be moved to satisfy those who oppose it.

Like I said we will try sort something again with the Kingfisher over the next week, if there is a free week between NUIG and UL. But this will still conflict with the IAAA for some people, but we'll see what we can do.

So please can we have less of the finger pointing as we all want to have a successful 2nd half to the season, we will try our best to organize something.

Thanks

Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 PokeyMcArrow

I'm not too bothered what day it's on. It'd be a shame if the barebow champs werent on though!

Sounds like a good plan though Mick!

Rory
    UL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I'm not too bothered what day it's on. It'd be a shame if the barebow champs werent on though!

Sounds like a good plan though Mick!

Rory
    UL

If you're talking about the Open Barebow championships that would be a pity. I've been practicing for a year with that as the focus. As have several others in our club.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 128 ✭✭MuchSavage

Alot would have been looking forward to it, I wouldn't like to cancel it myself.

Hopefully we can work something without that happening. It's not a matter of moving the IV from the Sat to the Sun, cause that still won't suit those that want it changed, it's the whol weekend. Having the IV on the Sunday wouldn't work either as a solution to the problem.

MuchSavage wrote: »
    So please can we have less of the finger pointing as we all want to have a successful 2nd half to the season, we will try our best to organize something.

Regarding this, I wasnt trying to point fingers in that sense, I was merely explaining to Olly that I had mentioned it to people before.

Also, I had mentioned the problem last year at the IV, as well as before it, so the problem with this date has been highlighted before.

If changing the date is not a possibility, I personally would be happy enough with a best 5 out of 6 for this year, as it would, as you said, level the field for the clubs who were unable to attend the DKIT IV last weekend due to the flooding. And I think that other colleges might be happy with this solution too..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 HansEbert

Is it possible to implement a 5/6 iv rule change for the team score as it is now in the best interest of at least 4 colleges as long as other colleges didnt mind.... both Nuig and gmit missed out on a team score at dkit because of adverse weather conditions... nothing we could do anything about...

Dcu miss out at nuig because of exams, something we can do nothing about...thus losing what would be an impressive team tally...(also might i suggest that pre calender meeting next year, nuig and dcu consult each other about the date of the nuig intervarsity, you are both as much to blame for expecting each other to do the "right" thing) and Dit miss out because several of their top archers are going to nimes to compete...

those in power have a chance to right some wrongs here, as you know this year has been wrought with injustice to irish sport, as much as possible no one should feel cheated out of a chance to win, so early in the season... lets keep the iv league interesting and give ppl a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭cailinardthair

HansEbert wrote: »
    Is it possible to implement a 5/6 iv rule change for the team score as it is now in the best interest of at least 4 colleges as long as other colleges didnt mind.... both Nuig and gmit missed out on a team score at dkit because of adverse weather conditions... nothing we could do anything about...

Dcu miss out at nuig because of exams, something we can do nothing about...thus losing what would be an impressive team tally...(also might i suggest that pre calender meeting next year, nuig and dcu consult each other about the date of the nuig intervarsity, you are both as much to blame for expecting each other to do the "right" thing) and Dit miss out because several of their top archers are going to nimes to compete...

those in power have a chance to right some wrongs here, as you know this year has been wrought with injustice to irish sport, as much as possible no one should feel cheated out of a chance to win, so early in the season... lets keep the iv league interesting and give ppl a chance.

i think it be a good idea just to count 5/6 IV score! since four teams are going to be left out of the running! if there is nothing the club can do to get somewhere due exams, weather or a competition it would be the fairest way
    and at the next agm we should make a plan for something like this again.
    it would be the fairest way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Private Ryan

The Section of the rules which allows for changes are:

Exceptions

1. While the above rules are meant to cover most eventualities in the League, exceptions will occur. The ISAA committee may make modifications and exceptions to the rules when it is appropriate.
    2. The League exists to allow archers to compete and enjoy archery. The league rules should reflect this in a way that is fair to all the clubs and archers in the league.
    In my opinion the current situation is covered under these rules.
    The only issue which remains is who is on the committee and when do you have a vote? (NUIG on the 24th is clearly not a great time as a number of people will be missing)

5 out of 6 does seem to be the fairest way to go.

Am I right in saying that Orla is the ISAA Chair??

If so, could it be that, in order to make a vote as quickly as possible, she email each of the clubs, outlining the problems that are in the air, and ask them for a vote on whether they would agree to score the best 5 of 6 IVs this year?? We could even send them to another person in order to make sure that no one can claim wrong doings. (Im not questioning Orla's integrity here, merely trying to cut-off a potential fall-back of the idea.)

Just to clarify we have the hall booked for two days so we can hold the barebow champs either way. We talked about the fact that nimes would draw alot of shooters away but nothing has been decided either way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

5/6 sounds good.
    I'm from NUIM and the last of the exams are finished on the 23rd and most of ours will possibly be unwilling/unable to go to Galway that soon after exams (our exam timetable isn't out yet so we don't know if any of us will have exams on the 23rd).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

hi just as an interested onlooker i was wondering if this matter 5/6 for the year had been solved? seems a pity to have a conversation like this left open at the end.

and just as a side note i remember last year or 2 years ago there was a rules issue that had heated debate to say the least and i though it was agreed that these issues would not be talked about on boards. I may be wrong it happens quite a lot :o:D but wouldn't this have been sorted quicker by e-mail between club captains/chairpersons??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭MicS

but wouldn't this have been sorted quicker by e-mail between club captains/chairpersons??

I will request a vote for this issue in committee mailing group.
    If some clubs are not represented there, please contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Hi all,

Sorry for clocking in late on this one. For those who don't know me my name is Mac and I've been organising the Barebow Champs for the last couple of years.

My worry this year is that there will not be enough archers around to compete the championship in January due to the event in france swollowing up a number of archers. When we originally booked the hall for the championships we were not aware that so many would be going to the french event. I would love to run the competition again this year, and if we can still shoot on the Sunday (if the IV is to be run on the Saturday) then we will go ahead if there are sufficient numbers.

Could interested archers either PM me or mail me at macdarag@gmail.com and we'll get an indication of numbers. I'll contact the IAAA as well to put out the advertisment for it.

In terms of the IV dates and whatnot, maybe for next year each club should submit months where IVs are a no-go due to exams. This will then give a list of months where IVs can be organised without any clashes from any of the colleges. Granted, the list of available months will probably be pretty small is you wish to have it open, but knowledge is power!

Advertisement