Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for PS3

Options
  • 26-11-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

I'm considering getting braodband in for some online gaming, but I havent a clue about what speed to get. UPC are offering '10Mb Broadband Express
    Download: 10Mb, Upload: 1Mb Suitable for: people who regularly upload and download large files such as music or movie trailers'... so they say. My question is, is this good enough for PS3 Gaming?! What sort of speeds\delays would I expect in Internetting, uploading & Downloading of files and gaming etc Seriously, I havent a clue what ta go for as I'm not Net-savy or techy... cheers! :) I know this question has probably been asked 100 times on boards but I cant seem to find anything that breaks it down PLAIN & SIMPLE lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's fine for PS3 gaming. If you share the connection, then other people using it for downloading, at the same time as you're gaming could cause some problems. Limiting P2P applications upload speed should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

My young fella has played FIFA10 on a 1Mb connection and found it a bit jerky. We have since upgraded to 3Mb and he has no complaints, so I'm sure 10Mb will be absolutely fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

10 MB is more than enough.
    As Homer said as long as you've it set up right, 3MB is all you'd need.
    However it depends on a few different things.
    If you've a pc running at the same time, you will be sharing the bandwidth.
    (The 10 MB would be for all devices, not each individual device)
    Seeing as you said however that you're not very tech savvy, it's doubtfull that you'd be doing anything to utilise the full bandwidth.
    I'm guessing you woun't be maxing out your torrents for instance.

You do have the added bonus of getting the free router with the 10 MB package, so you'll be saving a few euro on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

1Mbit download is plenty for gaming but its the upload that matters more as this is usually 1/8 of Your download speed. Some wireless providers provide 1Mbit/1Mbit or 1Mbit/512kbps which You can game on very sucessfully, 1Mbit dsl has only 128kbps upload which makes it not great for gaming as there's no room for evening slowdowns and contention etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

stay away from wireless internet its shocking for gaming. 3mb dsl is perfect or upc whichh is also cheap as chips prob get 10mb for the price of 3mb on dsl. i personnally have smart who give 1:1 contention which means im the only person on my line and never get slower speeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

tazire wrote: »
    stay away from wireless internet its shocking for gaming. 3mb dsl is perfect or upc whichh is also cheap as chips prob get 10mb for the price of 3mb on dsl. i personnally have smart who give 1:1 contention which means im the only person on my line and never get slower speeds

When you say wireless internet, do you mean Wimax, or the 3/Vodafone/O2 service, or do you just mean a wireless router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MrMagic1

tazire wrote: »
    stay away from wireless internet its shocking for gaming.

Bit of a generalisation there, I'm on fixed wireless and I couldn't ask for better for gaming. This is what I'm getting at the moment on my laptop, bang on what I'm paying for and this is even in wifi inside my house, I'd cut a few miliseconds off my ping times if i could be bothered to plug in. My desktop and Ps3 are plugged in

635274040.png
    C:\Users\Kath>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=57
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 17ms, Average = 15ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

There's no problem with using fixed wireless (as in a router) with gaming, as long as you have it set up properly.

I have 20MB broadband, and while I'm not at home right now to show a test result, I never drop bellow 19MB down 1.4MB up on a wireless connection.

You can get many problems if the wireless isn't set up properly, and you're always suceptable for problems as anyone else in the area can effect your wireless device with their own, but even if that happens, it's an easy fix, that just takes 10 mins.

As long as it's fixed broadband, there's no problem with using a wireless router.

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    There's no problem with using fixed wireless (as in a router) with gaming, as long as you have it set up properly.

I have 20MB broadband, and while I'm not at home right now to show a test result, I never drop bellow 19MB down 1.4MB up on a wireless connection.

You can get many problems if the wireless isn't set up properly, and you're always suceptable for problems as anyone else in the area can effect your wireless device with their own, but even if that happens, it's an easy fix, that just takes 10 mins.

As long as it's fixed broadband, there's no problem with using a wireless router.

Fixed Wireless is the method used by the ISP to deliver broadband to its customers, nothing to do with wifi throughout the house
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54228617&postcount=2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you share the connection, then other people using it for downloading, at the same time as you're gaming could cause some problems. Limiting P2P applications upload speed should help.

No matter what I do with limiting my speeds up/down once I'm engaged in P2P at ANY speed I cannot surf at all with UPC.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    No matter what I do with limiting my speeds up/down once I'm engaged in P2P at ANY speed I cannot surf at all with UPC.

Limit the number of connections, this is whats killing Your surfing. Do this and limit the upload to something small and You'll be able to browse, but it'll also slow Your p2p download speed

Advertisement