Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby name confusion??

Options
  • 26-11-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hey all..

My sister just had a baby boy on monday!They have decided to call him Conal (Cone-al)...can anyone tell me whether there is a fada on the o or not?

Thanks
    Linola

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

no, no fada afaik. I've seen it spelt with two ls as well . Pronunciation as I've heard it is more cun-al or con-al than cone-al but then putting a fada on it would make it cone-al.

sorry not much help really :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yeah if pronounced Cone-al and is in Irish the o should have a fada.

Am I right in thinking that it's like Cónan?

However it can be spelled without the fada if it's in English! Like Ronan.

Sorry to confuse you more. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Use a fada if you're pronouncing it 'cone-al'. But straightforward con-al doesn't have a fada. Nothing to do with Irish or English, it is an Irish name.

It's great to see someone actually checking. I know an an Orán (oh-rawn, he pronounces in or-an) and a Séan (shane, even though he pronounces it shawn...?)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

Cheers everyone!!!!Now one more thing?How do u get a fada on a keyboard??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

AltGr + the letter:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement