Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to go Suggestions

Options
  • 26-11-2009 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Plans have changed some what recently, skiing trip is now going to include the folks as well as its there 30th anniversary/xmas present etc.

So a run down on the group would be 2 decent snowboarders, one decent skier, one very much beginner skier ( the auld fella, tried it a few times now but his weight and lack of fitness is working against him ) and lastly a walker (the boss herself! mainly into seeing the sights going on walks etc.. might try skiing again but its doubtful since the first time was a disaster for her and hasnt been keen since)

So basically im looking to rent a chalet for 6 ppl for around the end of feb or early march. Somewhere that would have good snow and great views, wood land is a plus.. For the skiing we just need decent slopes and a decent variety.. the three off us that would be using the mountain fully can handle pretty much anything.

anyone able to help wiht a few pointers or location suggestions?? havin good walking paths and guides is the problem really. can find a place for just skiing. but need the walking too to make sure everyone is happy..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

You could try Saalbach in Austria. Loads of choice of slopes and winter walks but the Chalet may not be an option,
    Chamonix might be worth a look but you will all be split up during the day if you are at diffrent levels of ability in terms of skiing/boarding
    Sass Fee in Switzerland might not be bad choice but a little pricey.

Try the tourist wesites for the resorts as they tend to have details of winter walk itiniarys etc on them. If you are looking for a chalet it will probably have to be France or Switzerland as they tend to be more common there.

Most resorts now cater for all types of groups and activities. Just some are slighty better than others the Austrians and the Swiss in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

i was going to say Saas Feé as well. havnt been there in years but i think there were good hill walking / hiking areas there. Maybe Lech in Austria also? or Zermatt - all on the pricier side of things mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Cheers for the info. will have a look at those and get back to you.. see what type of pricing im talking about! :) apartments or resorts would be fine as well just depends on cost really. know i could get a chatel for cheaper for the week in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you're going for Chalet - France is prob your best option. Even though Austria is my fave place to ski, I think the French do Chalets better.

Would you consider a nice apartment?

We went to Kitzbuhel a while ago, and one of the group was pregnant - she did loads of walking/hiking/tours etc. So was kept well entertained while we skied.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Oh ya, id consider an apartment. wouldnt be a problem. as long as they are big enough tis grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you have money, Zermatt would be ideal. I got married there and all the oldies who came out had a ball doing all sorts of non-skiing things, no-one got bored.

Another option would be Les Arcs. Brilliant skiing, and a real French town at the bottom of the ski system. You could even stay in Bourg St Maurice and get the Funi up each morning.

If you're somewhere near Salzberg - they usually have day trips out to different places, Sound of Music, Swarovski factory etc. A large resort on a train line might be a good option, as it means they can head off for the day on the train if they wanted. All the resorts have comprehensive websites which list all of the non-skiing activites which are on offer. And they can get a hikers ski pass (which is a good bit cheaper) so they can meet you for lunch in restaurants near the gondolas. I reckon the largest town we've been to - with the most going on would be Kitzbuhel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

nialo,
    Try the below for Saas Fee. Owned by an Irish guys ski in/out 5 min from the village and the main lifts.

http://www.pearlofthealps.com/

Oh - here is a 'tool' that you can specify certain criteria:
    http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiresorts/default.aspx

Both Zermatt & Kitz are suggested for non-skiers :)

Advertisement