Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Got timing belt changed but its no right since

Options
  • 25-11-2009 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

If anybody can help me with this one. I dropped my Van into 2 polish mechanics recommended by friend to get the timing belt changed. Its a VW transporter 2.5 TDI 5 cylinder. I wanted to get it done as there was no history with the van when i bought it a couple of months ago and its at 90,000 miles so better to be safe then sorry. Since i got it back its very difficult to start it when its cold or even a couple of hours after it was started. It sounds a little more snarly than usual. Brought it back to them after talking to them and they said it was likely to be glo plugs so i got a set of plugs and dropped them in to the guys as they work on it at night.
    Everything was checked all plugs worked fine and drove off late that night. Next morning still problems. Turn on ignition wait for approx 7 second hear the relay click and try and start it but it barely starts and chugs a little and then kicks in after about 3 seconds with a considerable amount of white smoke behind it. I got the feeling that possible the timing could be off and said it to them, but they kept saying it must be computer problem,
    If the timing was off a notch would the van still run or is this train of thought nonsense? Before i got the timimg belt done the van started first turn without fail so thats what leads me to think there lies the problem. Any thoughts

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Van definetly wouldn't start right if the timing was out. How does it feel when driving, less power, hesitant at times ??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

They probably didn't get the timing of the injection pump quite right.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wheeliebin

a couple of times it has cut out on me if i give it a light rev when i free wheel when the engine is cold. I thought it had more power beforehand but cant be 100% sure . A mate who borrows the van from time to time said it felt less powerful, he drives like a lunatic

If the pump timing is out, is that a big job now to rectify? I know they just marked everything and fit the belt on as they had not belt setting kit for the van. I just dont want it to get completely f~cked. I can get a lend of the kit to set it froma mate in Annesley motors but i have lost the faith in their abilities To get it right. I have paid for it so iwant it right but not completely knackered

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Don't know enough about the ins and outs of pump timing to give a qualified opinion on this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

wheeliebin wrote: »
    If the pump timing is out, is that a big job now to rectify? I know they just marked everything and fit the belt on as they had not belt setting kit for the van. I just dont want it to get completely f~cked. I can get a lend of the kit to set it froma mate in Annesley motors but i have lost the faith in their abilities To get it right. I have paid for it so iwant it right but not completely knackered

I'd be fairly sure that this is your problem. This is the difference between having the timing exactly spot on, or ending up being a few degrees out with the timing at the fuel pump. I also wouldn't be entertaining the default answer of, "it must be the computer"...

OP I haven't done this job recently, as in the last 12 months, I'll make a phone call in the morning for you on it, I'm fairly sure there is a pin for locking the fuel pump into position when doing his job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ddarraghh

ye there is a pin to lock the fuel pump,
    also have not done this job in ages but fixing the timing might be as big a job as the belt change
    hopefully they will sort it for free, if they have any pride in there work

maybe it was not there fault and it is an unrelated problem but i doubt it

Thanks for the replies.

The guys said they would redo it but its gonna take about 4-5 hours (at there own expense)as they have to make sure everything is timed properly and i got a loan of the locking set from a mate in Annesleys so fingers crossed. He also thought that the pump timing was out too as a possible cause for this.

I will post a reply after its done but it will be done the following weekend i hope

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ddarraghh

cool you will be sorted soon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

You need a dial gauge to set pump timing on these engines, chances are they didnt use one:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

anon11 wrote: »
    You need a dial gauge to set pump timing on these engines, chances are they didnt use one:)

Yeah what Anon just said, you need to line up a mark on the flywheel and then use a dial gauge to set up the fuel pump timing. Now this is on the Older 98-04 5cyl 2.5tdis, is this your one or is it the newer model transporter?

If it is the older type transporter, there's two timing belts, one that keeps the cam/crank in sync and then the rear timing belt that drives the fuel pump off the camshaft. The fuel pump timing belt is easy enough to replace without any tools once you don't let the fuel pump timing slip. This sounds like whats after happening with yours. Bit of a PITA to get right when it happens.

The LT35/46 5cyl TDI's (same engine) used to break these belts very reguarly and where a nightmare to get the timing right when this happened.

Yeah its a 2001 Vw transporter 2.5tdi 5 cylinder. Sounds right what your saying. The van does run alright but this morning was a nightmare to start with the cold. Must see about the pump guage. I would almost attempt it myself as i can devote time and patience to it but i just dont want to make it worse. Cheers for replies again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

its the timing, has to be,,
    white smoke hard to start, course its the timing, bring to main dealer, vw 2.5 tdi is not the easiest of things to time right, u need the locking tools,,there probaly is adjstment on injector pump, least there was on the older version,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

I dont know about the 2.5 d, but i do know about the 2.4 d.
    The 2.4 d has a seperate belt for the pump timing, there is adjustment on the pump.
    On the timing belt side, the rocker cover must be removed and the pulley for the pump on other side to enable locking of the camshaft.
    The camshaft pulley is only fastened after the timing belt is on and the idler pulley(which tensions the belt) is fastened.
    Its very easy to get it wrong, because the top pulleys have no notch where they bolt on to the camshaft (they are cone shaped)

There are good polish mechanics in Kilcullen (Sebs car service) ph : 0851228403, you should get your polish buddies to ring them and ask about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

argosy2006 wrote: »
    its the timing, has to be,,
    white smoke hard to start, course its the timing, bring to main dealer, vw 2.5 tdi is not the easiest of things to time right, u need the locking tools,,there probaly is adjstment on injector pump, least there was on the older version,

you don't need main dealer there are plenty of indy's out the WITH the tools AND the experience to do this job quite basis and common job. just need the right gear and training...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,143 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I dont know about the 2.5 d, but i do know about the 2.4 d.
    The 2.4 d has a seperate belt for the pump timing, there is adjustment on the pump.
    On the timing belt side, the rocker cover must be removed and the pulley for the pump on other side to enable locking of the camshaft.
    The camshaft pulley is only fastened after the timing belt is on and the idler pulley(which tensions the belt) is fastened.
    Its very easy to get it wrong, because the top pulleys have no notch where they bolt on to the camshaft (they are cone shaped)

There are good polish mechanics in Kilcullen (Sebs car service) ph : 0851228403, you should get your polish buddies to ring them and ask about it.
    Best advice in this thread, imo. :D

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement