Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sitting on router

Options
  • 25-11-2009 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi got my netopia wireless modem from Eircom today. set it up no problem except signal my laptop receiving is very week even though only about ten feet away from router.When sitting beside router signal is good. rang eircom only to be cut off and 2nd time gave 17 mins trying to get through only to be told by machine they busy and ring later which i did only to be told they closed. Any help much appreciated. thanks. By the way I am a first time conection to broadband as you can tell!:(

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Try the usual - make sure the aerials on the back of the modem are screwed on tightly and expose the modem as much as possible - move it away from any other wireless sources such as cordless phones/bases are a common source of signal issues. Put it as high up as possible too. Even high-charge electrical devices such as Monitors/TVs can create problems with signal strength if the unit is too close to one.

If that shows no improvement you could try logging into the router and adjusting the channel which could help if there are a lot of routers broadcasting in your area - most are defaulted to channel 11 and so it can get 'noisy' if they are broadcasting on top of one another. Changing down to Ch 5 or 6 could help.

Failing that it could be the laptop's wifi card itself - have you tested your laptop on any other wifi connection? Might tell you where the problem lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 heidi girl

Thanks tried all that. Was wondering could it be just that I have week signal from my local exchange as i am 3 miles from it. Will try eircom again tomorrow. thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

heidi girl wrote: »
    Was wondering could it be just that I have week signal from my local exchange as i am 3 miles from it.

No, the wifi problem is a local issue and nothing to do with the exchange. The Netopia routers are not that good, so it could be that you have a particularly bad one. Could also be that your laptop has an issue. Can you check another computer, or put a USB wifi card in the laptop, and connect through that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

heidi girl wrote: »
    Thanks tried all that. Was wondering could it be just that I have week signal from my local exchange as i am 3 miles from it. Will try eircom again tomorrow. thanks again.

Try connecting via cable and see if this improves the quality, if it does, then you will know for sure it is the wireless

10 feet is nothing for wireless. It sounds like the aerial(s) are not connected at all. I'm using an old Netopia 2247 and the signal struggled a bit through about 50 feet and a concrete wall. I put a more powerful aerial on it and its much better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Try the usual - make sure the aerials on the back of the modem are screwed on tightly and expose the modem as much as possible - move it away from any other wireless sources such as cordless phones/bases are a common source of signal issues. Put it as high up as possible too. Even high-charge electrical devices such as Monitors/TVs can create problems with signal strength if the unit is too close to one.

If that shows no improvement you could try logging into the router and adjusting the channel which could help if there are a lot of routers broadcasting in your area - most are defaulted to channel 11 and so it can get 'noisy' if they are broadcasting on top of one another. Changing down to Ch 5 or 6 could help.
    Failing that it could be the laptop's wifi card itself - have you tested your laptop on any other wifi connection? Might tell you where the problem lies.

Does anyone have the Eircom web address for this? I'm having the same problem and was given an address last week but it's still the same and want to try another channel. Can't face calling again to be on hold for 25mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Does anyone have the Eircom web address for this? I'm having the same problem and was given an address last week but it's still the same and want to try another channel. Can't face calling again to be on hold for 25mins.

http://192.168.1.254/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Think for the Eircom Netopia routers the Web address is 192.168.1.254 or it can be 192.168.1.1

If you have no luck with those, on your laptop go to start, click run, type cmd in the box anh hit ok. In the black box type ipconfig and the Default Gateway is your web access to your router.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

ElBarco wrote: »

Lovely - thank-you

Advertisement