Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the different grades for NCHDs?

Options
  • 25-11-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi I was just looking at the IMOs website and noticed the payscale is different for SHOs and registrars, which in all my ignorance I thought was the same thing. Can someone tell me the difference, and when I finish an internship someday, will I be an SHO or registrar? If so what needs to be done to get promoted to the higher paying one? Also where does getting an MD fit into all of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Intern - sho- registrar- SPR - consultant,
    However, there are variations, and the career pathway is changing it may be forced to go the way of the UK with foundation years etc

Usually most people will do research after SHO and before registrar or sometimes after doing registrar for a year or two.

Then others do a fellowship year (or four) after finishing SPR and before consultant.

Training time post graduation varies from 7 years to 17years. Some have to be a consultant overseas before they would be considered for jobs in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Intern - sho- registrar- SPR - consultant,
    However, there are variations, and the career pathway is changing it may be forced to go the way of the UK with foundation years etc

Usually most people will do research after SHO and before registrar or sometimes after doing registrar for a year or two.

Then others do a fellowship year (or four) after finishing SPR and before consultant.

Training time post graduation varies from 7 years to 17years. Some have to be a consultant overseas before they would be considered for jobs in Ireland.

Doubt foundation will happen here

Grades above correct except for Psychiatry and Ophthalmology which still use senior Reg

Radiology can go from Intern to SPR, Occupational Med can go from SHO-1 to SPR

Most others require at least 2 and possibly 3 years before becoming REG or SPR

Advertisement