Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I do a FAS course if I'm not claiming JA?

• 25-11-2009 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

I'm not working at the moment but am not claiming at the moment, could I still be able to do a FAS course & could I still get paid for doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

as far as i know yes you should!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

Does anyone else know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

You can do a FAS course even if you are working you just have to pay for it. Its free if you are out of work so you should be good either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Done a FAS course mid last year on Dreamwaever, even though I was working. Had to pay for it but far cheaper than other such courses and I would totally recommend doing one.

On the website some of them don't have a fee, I'm not claiming so would I definitely have to pay and do all of them have fee charges?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 nofi

As far as i know, you have to be on a social welfare payment,with the excemption of people with disabilities , to get a payment.Don't know if there are free courses for those they deem as having means.Why not ring Fas and ask?

You can do a FAS course even if you are working you just have to pay for it. Its free if you are out of work so you should be good either way.

But would you get paid for it as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

If you are planning to do a day course you will be paid - bear in mind that it will be full time. It will depend on your age how much to you will get. If you are under 20 you will only get approx 100euro over that and you will get 200euro plus travel expenses depending how far you live from the course. If you have children you will get some money towards childcare costs too.

There are part time courses in the daytime that you can do too but your allowance will be halved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lifeboats

Don't think you get paid a training allowance if you have an income from employment rental income etc. There used to be a course for women returning to the workforce, usually women who have been SAHMs whose kids have grown up.

Does anyone else know?

• Advertisement

Why are you not claiming welfare?

If Welfare turned you down because you're worth a fortune, it's likely FAS will come to the same conclusion.

As far as I'm aware, it's a rare occurrence to be paid for an evening or part time course. They're either free, or you pay on to them. In the event of full time day courses, FAS will replace your welfare payment with a FAS payment that will be of equal value.

But you don't have a welfare payment to replace. If you're under 18 this is fine as you are entitled to a weekly wage from FAS as an early school leaver.

There were a few people on my last course who were not entitled to a welfare payment, because their husband/wife was working. These people got paid the FAS allowance (€204) but upon exiting the course were again not entitled to welfare.

Advertisement