Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of changing opinions on cars please.

Options
  • 25-11-2009 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭

Hi all considering changing car in new year for a couple of different reasons.

Am changing from a 08 5 door (has to be) 140bhp Golf petrol.

Cars I'm pricing from new so far:

Skoda Octavia VRS diesel,
    Opal Astra SRi 2.0 diesel and,
    Mazda 3 zsport 2.0 petrol

Any other suggestions please or comments on cars not really interested in the save you money comments thanks anyways.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Legacy 2.0 Diesel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Try getting one of the 2.2 diesel Mazda 3's? I like all the cars mentioned though so would find it hard to pick between them, although the Octavia has a huge.........................spec and nice engine:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

The 2.2 Mazda diesel is out as they don't have the z sport in it so that's out. The Legacy maybe an option but I'd say out of my range at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

I'm not sure what anybody else thinks but the new renault megane coupe is class looking. Took a monaco spec one for a test drive and was very nice, although the petrol is 110bhp and the diesel is only 86bhp so might be a bit slow for you.. very nice to look at and drive.. this link is the top spec tho hence price..

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Megane/1.6-16V-/200943195610144/advert?channel=CARS

Thanks daithi but I need the five doors as it will be used as a family car. That coupe is a great looking car in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Leons have come down a good bit lately.
    Nicer looking than its Golf or Octavia cousins.

It does come in a five door but its not as nice looking.. might be worth a look.. I like the look of the passat tho, or the touareg.. might be a bit on the pricey side infairness.. sorry cant be of more help

Cheers Colm but I don't like the interior in the Leons was looking at one when I got the Golf

daithi09 wrote: »
    It does come in a five door but its not as nice looking.. might be worth a look.. I like the look of the passat tho, or the touareg.. might be a bit on the pricey side infairness.. sorry cant be of more help

Cheers for the help don't like the Passat interior Touareg would be too expensive to run I'd say

S40 2.0d?

• Advertisement

It is high spec and quite attractive, just loses value very quickly. Audi a4, love the new lights and they always hold there value....

daithi09 wrote: »
    Audi a4, love the new lights and they always hold there value....
    Sure about that? ask someone with an 08 how much they've lost so far.

Well barr the initial loss that every new car goes through, its really not that bad, compared to the S40 for instance..

Yes, but a 110bhp diesel S40 is €7k less than a 120bhp diesel A4 to start with.
    a 4 year old A4 won't hold that €7k gap in 4 years time.

fair enough, you seem to know... I'd usually be looking at buying second hand and I have looked at the volvo S40 and I think its price is very reasonable for what you get. If I was buying a new car tho i'd buy the audi, not going to research it but I think its the best bet for resale,admittedly I could be wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Good deal on the S40 at the moment, you can get a free upgrade to the SE for the price of the S on 2010 orders. SE is very well speced and is a comfortable cruiser too as long as you don't need alot of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Imprezza diesel?

Yeah the s40 looks good alright Audi is out as is the 3 series as I'd worry about repair costs if anything big went wrong.

Impreza maybe in the mix alright 09 ones are within price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Alfa 159 sportwagon? New 2L diesel has 170 PS

Took a 10 vrs for a test drive today and have to say I'm very impressed and am been offered a very good cost to change.

Am waiting on the astras to arrive in dealers before deciding but would say vrs will be hard to beat. Have yet to recieve any call back from Mazda dealer re the z sport which to be frank is very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

have a look at the Skoda Superb Elegance. It's a 5 door and a 4 door in 1 car. Speced to the teeth. Also the Opel Insignia 5 door SE or Sport 2ltr Diesel 160PS. Both are in the C band for Tax and are between 31 and 33k euro to get new.

Looking at both myself for the new year :)

Hi Guys final update to this have placed an order for elite Astra with AFL Xenons, bluetooth and adaptive chassis control.

Thanks to everyone for advice and comments.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Sorry I din't respond sooner, I was confused as to whether you were thinking of changing car or thinking of changing your opinion on cars:confused:

Advertisement