Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to UPC

Options
  • 25-11-2009 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering moving from BT/Vodafone to UPC for broadband and phone. Looking at 10Mb + Freetime World. (don't want their TV service).

So 2 quick questions for the experts here.

1. What's the service like. I'm in Maynooth (Chorus area). Anyone got any extreme problems or extreme compliments?
    2. I have two options - sign up and get a new number then cancel my BT account when it's live. Not a big deal - only family use the landline to contact us anyway. Or port the number over. Problem with this one is there will be an interruption of service. Has anyone done this and could you tell me how long it took to port the number and broadband. If there's any longer than a day or two offline then I'll go with the first option.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

There's no interuption of service.
    If you're transfering your old number, they install you with their phone on a temporary number.
    You have two phone lines for the period of the transfer, both working.
    All you do is fill out the form and post it into them.
    They get back to you a week or so later and tell you what day and time the number will transfer automatically.
    Both lines go down for about an an hour or so, and then the switch happens and your old phone line dies.
    Their line has your number straight away.

I'm in the other side of the country, but I'm happy with the service anyway.
    Could be different in your area though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Thanks. How about the broadband? I'm not worried about a break in service of the phone line - it's the internet connection I don't want broken and any long period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Macros42 wrote: »
    Thanks. How about the broadband? I'm not worried about a break in service of the phone line - it's the internet connection I don't want broken and any long period.

UPC use different lines to BT.
    They have their own network and don't use Eircom lines.
    There's no BB interuption at all.
    They call out and install their service and switch you over imediately.
    All you have to do is then cancel the BT service.

In fact that's fairly important.

As soon as you're transferred over, you have to cancel the BT BB, but not the phone line.
    The number transfer won't work otherwise.

All you do is use your old BB service up until you're installed.
    Straight away then cancel the BT BB as otherwise you're paying for both at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Joey99

I too am looking at moving to UPC from BT/Vodafone but I'm planning on moving to their triple play option as I've spotted what looks to be a pretty keen offer with DID (€250 off a TV or laptop). I'm planning to get a 1080p 32" flat screen for the princely sum of €175 (including discount) and I've calculated I'll be saving a minimum of €30/month against my existing analogue TV, BT broadband and totaltalk option. What's not to like?

I'll let you know how I get on with the changeover. Plan for it to start tomorrow.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Anyone know if UPC are throttling torrents in Maynooth?Also considering changing to them after eircoms latest debacle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Gonna use this thread to ask questions about UPC as well!

Anyone using UPC in Dublin 15, specifically around the Mulhuddart, Clonsilla area? Considering switching but want to know how the service is around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Another question:

Can the modem be installed at any TV point in the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Another question:

Can the modem be installed at any TV point in the house?

Yes.

Advertisement