Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Broadband

Options
  • 25-11-2009 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Is "Broadband to Go" available ( by that I mean is it successful ) in the Grange rath area of Drogheda?

Wess

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What mobile company runs it?? Mobile internet, due to its crappiness in general, is covered in the midband forum where you'll see lots of threads on it.

Also, see this post I made in the other forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63186531&postcount=15

There's a reply to you in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wess

Thanks for that!

Both my neighbours have Eircom broadband. The problem with my house is that the line needs upgrading, and will take along top be done apparently?
    There are a few houses like mine in the estate.

Tha's why I am thinking of getting "Broadband To Go" from one of the other providers like Meteor or vodafone. But although vodafone say that there coverage in Grange Rath is tops in this regard,(according to there guide) they do tell me alot of folks from GR return there Broadband To Go because of poor performance. This is why I'd like to hear from someone who has Broadband To Go from a provider other that Eircom.

Kind regards
    Tony

I can say it's bad with O2 aswell. Don't know about 3. And it will vary from within GR.

Who told you about that "line upgrading" stuff?? And how long ago was it? If it was a salesman, they wouldn't know an exchange from an esb substation. Or indeed their arses from their elbows:D

Also, what does "will take along top be done apparently?" mean? Sorry if it should be obvious:o

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wess

Hi thanks again,

you will have to excuse my typing errors, it should have been "will take along time to be done apparently". I did realise after I had sent it, hoped you would be able to work it out........but I did think you might think I was using some sort of technical jargon. Sorry again!

Wess

Wess wrote: »
    Hi thanks again,

you will have to excuse my typing errors, it should have been "will take along time to be done apparently". I did realise after I had sent it, hoped you would be able to work it out........but I did think you might think I was using some sort of technical jargon. Sorry again!

Wess
    I can't see why yours would take a long time to be done, when most (I thought all at this stage) of the estate was moved to the new exchange. The answers to your questions can really only be sorted by talking to a linesman or engineer somehow. Who told you about this "line upgrading" anyway??

I think the best bet for you is to pay for a new line and have an order of 7 mbps broadband included in it. This will either definitely work or else you won't have to pay the install/initial rent charge.

You could try writing a letter of complaint about how your neighbours can get any speed they like while you are not able to place an order for even 1 mbps. Give them your account number, the usual details etc. when making a complaint. Hopefully you'll hear back with an informed answer. Make reference to the fact that a new exchange is in the estate but you don't appear to be connected to it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

i have checked with 3 and your area is completely covered 20 euro a month for 15GB allowance and is 3 times faster than eircom 1mb internet wich to be honest eircom are not worth it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If three could actually provide even 10% of their speeds at peak times, then they would warrant being called broadband IMO. There's a midband forum for a reason.

Also, the coverage maps used are incorrect for Grange Rath as i explained in the provided link. The coverage maps not taking into account the recent buildings that have appeared in south drogheda since those coverage modelling maps were created, nor do they consider the effect of modern insulation in hindering microwave frequency signals. 3G signal is significantly worse indoors compared to outdoors. Furthermore, according to ComReg's website, there are no three masts near Grange Rath. To provide good service in a built up area, it would want to be a km away or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

i dont know then !!erm i think grange rath would have been built before the map was made for 3g cov and has been updated:D not saying your going to get a signal cos you never know with 3G ..i have looked at 3 speed tests on the 3broadband megathread and speeds never seen below 1mbps which is good for what you call midband off peak speeds usually 2 mbps and higher the later it gets still beats vodafone by a mile :p:p 637508724.png

vodafones highest speed 2day 3oclock in the morning so i doubt it if the slowness is bcos of alot of people in my area are on the vodafone network its pathetic im just saying that in my area 3 comes out best in terms of speed and the vf and 3 masts are right bside each other so its not cos the vf is further away even more mad is on comreg website there are 2 vf masts i can get signal from and still i get this im not happy with vf but other areas might get faster speeds than me ??:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

I have FIXED line Vodafone in Grangerath, and my 7Mb line doesnt get the speeds mentioned above at times..

Advertisement