Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation grant?

Options
  • 25-11-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I had my walls and attic insulated 2 years before the government grant came into force and I was wondering is it possible for me to recieve the grant now?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No, most likely not. The grant is intended to help people with the cost of doing work, not to reimburse you for costs you could obviously afford, and have already paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Green Issues - apologies if not the correct forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

jor el wrote: »
    No, most likely not. The grant is intended to help people with the cost of doing work, not to reimburse you for costs you could obviously afford, and have already paid.

obviously afford???-The statement of the LOAN from the credit union may beg to differ. Yes--I had to borrow money to get the work done, where as most of the houses that seem to be getting the work done now (and are getting the grant) seem to 2-3 times the size of my house and a lot more able to pay than me!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

dudara wrote: »
    Moved to Green Issues - apologies if not the correct forum

dudara

No apology needed dudara...thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

muincav wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I had my walls and attic insulated 2 years before the government grant came into force and I was wondering is it possible for me to recieve the grant now?
    Thanks.

No you can't receive the grant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

muincav wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Thanks.

No - with the exception of a "before" BER report, you must have grant approval from SEI before doing the work. You must also use a contractor from SEI's register of contractors.
    jor el wrote: »
    The grant is intended to help people with the cost of doing work, not to reimburse you for costs you could obviously afford, and have already paid.

A rather snide and simplistic comment. How do you know how easy it was for the OP to afford to have this work done?

Anyway, the grant is not just intended to help people who could otherwise ill-afford to top up their insulation - it's not means tested after all! It's also intended to improve the energy efficiency of the country's housing stock, reducing energy imports and use, and carbon emissions. It's further intended to encourage householders to get work done which will help provide employment in the construction sector, an area which very badly needs it.

Advertisement