Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious wind today..

Options
  • 25-11-2009 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Anyone here have the pleasure of an M50 commute this morning?

Between Dundrum and Tallaght I was nearly getting the knee down at some of the straight road parts to counter the wind. And to top things off I forgot my neck sock thingy.

Hopefully it lets up before I'm forced to revert back to the 4 wheel.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Nearly lost it a few times between Dundrum & Cherrywood, had to slow to 80kph to stay in my lane :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

was coming up towards phibsborough on the Finglas road at about 6:30 this morning and a sudden gust blew me from the left hand lane into the right hand lane. Just about kept it up and on my side of the road. If I was in the right hand lane I would have got blown into on coming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Literally had a blast on the commute this morning, especially between Cherrywood and Carrickmines exits on the M50!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

clown bag wrote: »
    was coming up towards phibsborough on the Finglas road at about 6:30 this morning and a sudden gust blew me from the left hand lane into the right hand lane. Just about kept it up and on my side of the road. If I was in the right hand lane I would have got blown into on coming traffic.

Jeez and you on the Dragstar.

M50 is a bit of a windtunnel at the best of times so gave it a miss today.

Still managed to find myself a metre away from where I meant to be a couple of times on the N11!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Jeez and you on the Dragstar.

!
    Yeah, it's usually grand for balance and heavy enough not to get moved around too much but really got thrown off course with that gust this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

Just a few days ago I said here that I feel safer on a bike than in a bus... well, the wind taught me a lesson this morning, crashed on the m50 on the hill after the Sandyford exit.. wear your gear people and take the backroads, it's safer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

randomway wrote: »
    Just a few days ago I said here that I feel safer on a bike than in a bus... well, the wind taught me a lesson this morning, crashed on the m50 on the hill after the Sandyford exit.. wear your gear people and take the backroads, it's safer there.

Glad your able to tell the tale.

much damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Good to see you walked away from that OK!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

crashed on the m50 on the hill after the Sandyford exit

I used to always find that place dangerous on the bike, even in calmer conditions. You get some visicious winds passing the rounabout there as I remember. Remembering slowing down to about50kph and leaning the GS into the wing just to keep my lane.:(

Hope the bike's okay....oh and yourself obviously. :D

Sorry to hear that. You didn't leave your back lying up against the central reservation did you? Saw a bike this morning around that area.

• Advertisement

My gear is worth more than the bike, and it did its job... only my little finger is sore, the impoact was taken by the knee and elbow armours. But the crankshaft cover broke on the bike, and it didn't turn over the engine, so that will cost a few bobs to replace. I don't care, I'll put it down as experience.

Take it handy folks, leave double the distance in front and on the sides than usual.... and if you see a bus or truck dripping diesel in front of you, light a match on the idiot.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. You didn't leave your back lying up against the central reservation did you? Saw a bike this morning around that area.

that was it, had to go and organize the recovery van

that was it, had to go and organize the recovery van

Ah well, it could have been a lot worse.

If you need a hand getting it back on the road I'm sure most on here would be happy to help. ;)

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Ah well, it could have been a lot worse.

If you need a hand getting it back on the road I'm sure most on here would be happy to help. ;)

Thanks for the offer. Hope the cover will be easy to find.. I should probably get an engine crash bar as well for the next one :rolleyes:

Thanks for the offer. Hope the cover will be easy to find.. I should probably get an engine crash bar as well for the next one :rolleyes:

try http://cityspares.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

Sorry to hear that randomway-least you got a good story out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Mine had crash bars on it when i got it, looked them up,average price is a bout 50-60 in the uk... money well spent Imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Sorry to hear about this.

At least you are OK.

I had to be in Kinnegad this morning at 8am - was not a fun trip, but I left early, and took my time. (I miss my car) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭rameire

saw your bike this morning, was wondering why there was a bike parked there.
    there was also a couple of cars on the hard shoulder. i take it they wernt involved in your accident.
    but when i was travelling along the m50 this morning i did see a sign saying oil spillage, so maybe that had a bit of an effect in your accident.
    was very windy all the way from mad cow to junction 14 which i call leopardstown.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Stop eating beans and cut down on your fiber intake.

Oh...that's not the type of 'serious wind' you meant.....

Perhaps it's just me, but it didn't seem all that windy today. I only drove about 5 miles though, and not through any exposed areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Does the type of bike have a effect on being buffeted by the wind?

I was driving up the N11 this morning and out to Skerries this evening and while I was getting knocked at most about a foot off course I was following a few sport/tourers and noticed them being thrown around the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Does the type of bike have a effect on being buffeted by the wind?

I was driving up the N11 this morning and out to Skerries this evening and while I was getting knocked at most about a foot off course I was following a few sport/tourers and noticed them being thrown around the road.

All the usual laws of physics apply i.e. centre of gravity and effects of forces applied to objects. I think the biggest thing is the height and weight of the bike itself rather than naked v faired. Rider profile and weight might make up for I'd say 30%. I'm only on a street bike myself but I find tucking myself into the tank is great at lowering the centre of gravity and my profile to side winds.

I had some fun in sudden exposed bits of road this morning too. Luckily it was dry for me so it was more fun than anything else.

Also sorry to hear the news randomway it definitely validates the money spent on the gear when you pick yourself up and curse the damage to the bike instead of yourself.

Advertisement