Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

facebook is haven for virus's

Options
  • 24-11-2009 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Would I be correct in saying this? Awhile back a virus invaded my hotmail and sent msgs to all my contacts. There is an invasive program in facebook that picks up all your email contacts and suggests these email contacts / people as a possible friend on facebook right?

A similar virus is rife and has been hijacking contacts via email. Recently facebook has been sending emails to folks from so called trusted members in different forms.

Some of these emails have been from trusted members, possibly using the same application that allows facebook to find people on your email contact list?

It is something worth thinking about. Facebook and all it's silly applications I feel are becoming rife with potential viruses. Am I wrong or am I right on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Facebook and all it's silly applications I feel are becoming rife with potential viruses. Am I wrong or am I right on this?

Your dead right about the applications. The need set tighter controls on what apps are released and also the privacy aspect of it needs to be addressed.

Interesting article here

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Yeah I never accept an Facebook Apps any more - way too shady.

It needs a good overhaul - I find messages don't send, the sequence of news appears all fecked up, I see things dating back weeks over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Would I be correct in saying this? Awhile back a virus invaded my hotmail and sent msgs to all my contacts. There is an invasive program in facebook that picks up all your email contacts and suggests these email contacts / people as a possible friend on facebook right?

A similar virus is rife and has been hijacking contacts via email. Recently facebook has been sending emails to folks from so called trusted members in different forms.

Some of these emails have been from trusted members, possibly using the same application that allows facebook to find people on your email contact list?

It is something worth thinking about. Facebook and all it's silly applications I feel are becoming rife with potential viruses. Am I wrong or am I right on this?
    It doesn't just happen to pick up your contacts, you gave it your permission and most importantly your password for it too. When you signed up, Facebook asked for your email and password to take all your contacts and automatically send them friend requests. It's half your own fault and half Facebooks poxy default privacy settings as well (and the fact that most applications ask for profile access).

Read everything first next time, don't be so easy going with your passwords.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,073 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I've had it happen me 3 times. "Dear Friend....", offering really cheap laptops. I only use one app too, don't tell me I have to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I agree with you 100%. I keep getting emails of my friends saying you must join this facebook app it's simply brilliant . But when I ask them about it they said they knew nothing about it. You'd think with the millions of people on facebook, they try and sort it out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

ok well apart from the obvious (not accepting any links to applications!) what can one do? Should I delete all existing applications on my facebook? Tighten up my security? How? :)

I havent been "spammed" yet and I hope I never am, but Im seeing it happen to alot of people on my friends list.

edit: I just had a look at my application setting holy cow i had authorised 72 applications access! so i went deleting! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

cpu-dude wrote: »
    It doesn't just happen to pick up your contacts, you gave it your permission and most importantly your password for it too. When you signed up, Facebook asked for your email and password to take all your contacts and automatically send them friend requests. It's half your own fault and half Facebooks poxy default privacy settings as well (and the fact that most applications ask for profile access).

Read everything first next time, don't be so easy going with your passwords.
    To be honest, I don't remember giving my password to them. I'm fairly sure I did not as I'm v.cautious about net security. On this unsure point: is it possible to sign up for facebook without giving out passwords?

Advertisement