Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snes outputting black screen with green lines..

Options
  • 24-11-2009 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭

As it says in the topic the SNES I was given just gives off a black screen with slow moving green lines, occasionaly changing to a mesh of lines. I have given the cart a good clean, anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,587 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I have a couple of Snes consoles and one does this. Never got around to trying to figure out what the problem was though as one of them worked fine!

If you find something on the google I'll have to dig it back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A lot of the results on google are to do with cleaning it properly etc. I need to get more solution for the slot or might attack it with the compressed air tomorrow! It hasnt been used in 12 years.. but was stored nice and safe so god knows. I am using a spare Power Adapter with it but I doubht that should be the issue.

Master of the Universe

Yeah thinking about it, it more than likely is a dirt issue. Sure that's what happens when you put a dirty cart into a Snes anyway. (Although blowing usually gets around that)

It's not the PSU as I've tried a couple in my one.

Compressed air time alright!

I have a rather powerful source of compressed air! At work there is an OXY-Acetylne Torch, swith on the oxygen and blast away! Will report back.

Master of the Universe

Make sure not to accidentally hit the acetylene/ignition! Put a nice speed hole through the middle of it.

• Advertisement

Hehe, it would sort the green line issue.... but create an array of other melty issues.

Well the compressed air didnt work.. Hmm time to keep investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Garlic Suplmnt

ah, this takes me back!

I remember getting a snes for xmas 1992, followed by another about a week later, then another, then another.... and then february '93 came around!

IIRC early SNESes in the Ireland and the UK were blighted with this black screen/greenish lines condition, which at the time meant your vendor had to give you a new one and send the faulty one back. Maybe this is something that can be remedied nowadays quite easily with the internets and all, but back in the ealy 90's it was a death knell

Master of the Universe

Something similar happened to my Megadrive a year after I got it new. (It was a lovely HD Graphics one too :()

They replaced it with a Megadrive II. At the time I thought I was getting a great deal (Yay! the newer version!) but the older one was of much better quality.

As you said, if I had the internet back then it would probably have been easily fixed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Did you give this a bash??

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/snes-glitches.htm

Also, I had a similar issue with one of my Snes'. I found that if I put the cartridge in fully, turned on the power and gently lift the cart (its locked in but just move it slightly) then hit reset she came back to life.

• Advertisement

Will give that a shot later. Thanks.

Advertisement