Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Analytics IP Address question

Options
  • 24-11-2009 11:03pm

Hi All

May come across as a stupid question...but I know a lot about some things and little about others - If that makes sense :-)

I have started using Google Analytics on a website of mine. Its amazing !

I have created a filter to exclude my own IP address, so that the only hits it counts are actual visitors hits & not my own from checking the site but now I realise I do not have a unique IP address, it changes each time I connect to the web - DUH! (I use a three modem) - (I know, three = horrid)

Now, the question is, is there any other way of excluding yourself from the reports. I do not want to exclude the top level of the IP address as all three ireland IP's would be the same, so might also loose out on hits.

Does anyone have an experience with this or know of any other solution?

Thanks
    Spy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Does it have a blocking cookie option like statcounter.com?

Gordon wrote: »
    Does it have a blocking cookie option like statcounter.com?

Cant see any options for cookies, unless I'm blind or its named different, attached screen-grab of the list
    1DT4u9-94a61eb1a6c1ff904565f4aa978f1bcc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I ended up mailing Smart (my ISP) and asking them for the range of IPs I could be allocated, and discount anything from that range. Not too big a deal for me since 1) Smart's customer base is relatively low and 2) I'm primarily interested in foreign traffic.

Obviously that wouldn't be practical if you're looking at data from Ireland and your ISP has a big market share.

A quick google for "google analytics block dynamic ip" shows some possible alternatives:
    - Use the Adblock plugin to block GA
    - other suggestions including using the NoScript plugin, or altering your hosts file

Huh, wish I'd googled this earlier myself!

MOH wrote: »
    I ended up mailing Smart (my ISP) and asking them for the range of IPs I could be allocated, and discount anything from that range. Not too big a deal for me since 1) Smart's customer base is relatively low and 2) I'm primarily interested in foreign traffic.

Obviously that wouldn't be practical if you're looking at data from Ireland and your ISP has a big market share.

A quick google for "google analytics block dynamic ip" shows some possible alternatives:
    - Use the Adblock plugin to block GA
    - other suggestions including using the NoScript plugin, or altering your hosts file

Huh, wish I'd googled this earlier myself!

Thanks...its with Three....tried to call them and see if there was any way they could help, they didn't know what I was on about.

Did a fair bit of googling, but one of the sites is a blog, on blogger. As the pages are done up with a template, I cant use the cookie option or the two above :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

• Advertisement

tiptap wrote: »

Yea, thats the one....any idea what file I need to edit when using Safari / Mac ?

Getting there lol....appreciate your help

Yea, thats the one....any idea what file I need to edit when using Safari / Mac ?

Getting there lol....appreciate your help

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA27291

Ah-Ha!

After a fair amount of to-ing and fro-ing, (no access to private folder, harder to edit on Snow Leopard as the NetInfo manager app isn't there) etc etc. I have added the IP address et all to the hosts file.

Going to refresh a few times and check in a few hours, see if it counted me.

Will report back and let you know.

good stuff...the only thing you may need to do is flush your dns

Yup - Appears to have worked perfectly !

Lads, cant thank you enough !

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement