Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balanced Flue Gas Fire

Options
  • 24-11-2009 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hello all,

Our house has recently undergone renovations, part of which included the removal of a traditional fire, and, in its place, the installation of a balanced flue gas fire.
    There can be no doubt, the fire generates a substantial amount of heat; however, unfortunately, it also generates a pretty unpleasant - and perhaps noxious - odour.
    At first, we preseumed that this was merely the burning off of manufacturing oils, and while this still may be the case, the odour does seem to have lingered, and doesn't appear to be on the wane.
    Another theory is that it may be the adhesive used during installation as, apparently there was an awful lot used.
    Has anybody else experienced this?
    Does anybody else have any input on what the odour is, advice or possible solutions to the problem?

Thanks in advance!;)

Comments

The main thing would be to confirm that no products of combustion are entering the room, i would contact the installer and explain the problem and see if he would call to confirm the safe operation of the fire, he could do this using a analyser which can detect the products of combustion, once it's been confirmed the fire is safe then you can put it down to the fire being new, something falling on to the hot part of the fire, also make sure it's converted to run on the right gas, if this is wrong a fire can run hotter than designed, i wouldn't use the fire until it's been checked, paranoia is a good thing with gas, Gary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭patriks

Yeah, I reckon you're right.
    Thanks a million, Gary! It's really appreciated.;)

Advertisement