Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom broadband router

Options
  • 24-11-2009 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hi,

we have eircom broadband and we use the standard eircom broadband router, however, due to the house we live in, we need a router with more power to send the signal throug the thicker walls, any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 59 ✭✭sz_danii

CamperMan wrote: »
    Hi,

we have eircom broadband and we use the standard eircom broadband router, however, due to the house we live in, we need a router with more power to send the signal throug the thicker walls, any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi,

There could be an easy fix to your problem if you try to tune the wi-fi signal. You can go to the 192.168.1.254 page and under wireless choose "Advanced Configuration Options" and try changing the default channel to 1,2 or 10,11. Is it the silver or navy blue modem that you are using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

sz_danii wrote: »
    Hi,

There could be an easy fix to your problem if you try to tune the wi-fi signal. You can go to the 192.168.1.254 page and under wireless choose "Advanced Configuration Options" and try changing the default channel to 1,2 or 10,11. Is it the silver or navy blue modem that you are using ?

silver one

thanks.

tried that, still the same.

Simon

silver one

Ok, have you tried the steps I posted ? If yes, did it make any difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

The issue is not with the channel it's operating on, it's the range (obvious because the customer mentioned the thick walls). The Netopias like most standard routers wireless range is... well standard.

OP, you have four real alternatives IMO.

1 - A new wireless N router and receiver - further distance but all computers would need a wireless 802.11N receiver.

2 - A hi-gain multiple antenna router (such as the Belkin RangeMax DSL Routers).

3 - A Linksys WRT64G Router that you can flash and increase radio power with DD-WRT.

4 - Wireless Extenders that you can plan around your house that take the wireless signal and re-amplify it at other points.

• Advertisement

cpu-dude wrote: »
    The issue is not with the channel it's operating on, it's the range (obvious because the customer mentioned the thick walls). The Netopias like most standard routers wireless range is... well standard.

OP, you have four real alternatives IMO.

1 - A new wireless N router and receiver - further distance but all computers would need a wireless 802.11N receiver.

2 - A hi-gain multiple antenna router (such as the Belkin RangeMax DSL Routers).

3 - A Linksys WRT64G Router that you can flash and increase radio power with DD-WRT.

4 - Wireless Extenders that you can plan around your house that take the wireless signal and re-amplify it at other points.

Yes, this are some good solutions. But from my experience with modems I know they should be able to service even a three floor building. I had a few bad experiences with laptops which were not picking up a weaker signals. What type of laptop are you using? (search around and see if others report problems with that model before you start investing in networking equipment) . Have you tried a friends laptop at the same spot?

I think the easist solution would be to install a phone socket in the main room where the computers are and put the router in there... no forget that, more cables....

cpu-dude, the Belkin RangeMax DSL Router looks like a good option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

I think the easist solution would be to install a phone socket in the main room where the computers are and put the router in there... no forget that, more cables....

cpu-dude, the Belkin RangeMax DSL Router looks like a good option
    Be careful with this though, using a secondary phone point in your house can affect your Broadband performance.

May I suggest you do this:

1 - Turn off the wireless on the Netopia.
    2 - Buy a Netgear RangeMax Router (not DSL, a cable one)
    3 - Buy an extension LAN cable or LAN Powerline Adapters.
    4 - Run the extension ethernet from your Netopia to the Netgear Range Max and use that as your wireless access point.
    4b - Run a standard ethernet cable -> Powerline adapter -> Out of the adapter to your Netgear Range Max.

Advertisement