Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart telecom over eircom line

Options
  • 24-11-2009 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi guys,
    I have to move in a new flat that already has an eircom phone line. I have the chance to get a broadband for free (through my company), but they can't cover phone and broadband, but only broadband. For this reason I can't keep my actual Smart Telecom broadband, because I was told that Smart Telecom can't split phone line and broadband (seems that eircom can, so they offered me an eircom broadband).
    Is there a way to keep the eircom line (without changing the owner, keep paying the bills, etc) and then add a Smart Telecom broadband over it?
    The main reason is that I don't want a monthly limit for download...

Thanks very much!

Roberto

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

robydrupo wrote: »
    Is there a way to keep the eircom line (without changing the owner, keep paying the bills, etc) and then add a Smart Telecom broadband over it?

No.

Smart have a limit, and with Digiweb taking over, it may change again.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 robydrupo

Uhm I don't have any limit with Smart Telecom, I made a connection with them because of this!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Uhm I don't have any limit with Smart Telecom, I made a connection with them because of this!

You have a 170 gig cap with Smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

That information is a bit outdated:
    ========
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=3313

UPDATE:25/06/09

Some of you will receive emails warning you that your current traffic usage is excessive and asking you to reduce your usage.

Failure to do so could, per our terms and conditions, lead to your service being restricted or disconnected, with prior notification.

When determining if your traffic usage is excessive, we look at a rolling 30 day window of your upstream + downstream traffic. Currently if this measure exceeds 170GB you will be flagged as having an excessive traffic usage level.

If you want to monitor your traffic usage we would suggest using tools like bit meter or du meter.

We thank you for your co-operation and trust you will continue to enjoy our services.

If you have any queries or require further information please call our Customer Support Team on 1890 945300 or email customercare@smarttelecom.ie.

Yours sincerely,

Anne-Marie Reid
    Head of Smart Telecom Contact Centre
    ===========================================

• Registered Users Posts: 41 robydrupo

ok so also smart has 170g limit. The problem is that eircom has 50 or 70 for the 3 megs / 7.2 megs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Never enforced so don't worry about it, it should be entirely possible to have BB and phone from separate suppliers just in this mickey mouse country they don't provide it.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Hi guys,
    I have to move in a new flat that already has an eircom phone line. I have the chance to get a broadband for free (through my company), but they can't cover phone and broadband, but only broadband. For this reason I can't keep my actual Smart Telecom broadband, because I was told that Smart Telecom can't split phone line and broadband (seems that eircom can, so they offered me an eircom broadband).

Thanks very much!

Roberto

With Smart Telecom now they charge for Line Rental and Broadband separately on their biills if you are on 1 of their newer packages and not the "Free Line Rental for Life" ones that they sold way back in the beginning.

So I can see why having Smart Broadband would be a problem? I take it that this will be a new connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you get Smart LLU, then you have to pay everything to Smart, as you're using their equipment in the exchange, and nothing is left with eircom. But they now offer eircom wholesale products, not using their own equipment. It should be possible to keep the rental with eircom if using this product, but only if Smart will allow it. You could check with them and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Just so that you know, there is no residential broadband offering in Ireland that has an unlimited download allowance. Some hide it as a fake "unlimited" (but reserve the right to throttle/disconnect/charge you in their T&C/AUP), some are more upfront about it. Smart went the fake "unlimited" route at first but that was quickly changed once they started to get a few customers.

If you see "unlimited", either the provider has no clue, or is too new to market for it to be an issue (it won't last long). In all cases, they are lying; and blatantly doing so.
    it should be entirely possible to have BB and phone from separate suppliers just in this mickey mouse country they don't provide it.
    It is possible in this mickey mouse country. Some providers won't offer the service, but the framework/regulation is there to allow for broadband service from one company, voice service from another, and even (at a stretch, and I'm not sure anyone offers it) line rental from another!

Advertisement