Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we not rid ourselves of this farce?

Options
  • 24-11-2009 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What has this got to do with Vodafone, or Ireland for that matter? Same network as BT in the UK? What are you on about? Vodafone are a mobile phone operator, BT are a PSTN operator. I fail to see the connection.

Without even hovering over the link, I just knew this was in the Daily Mail, a rag of the lowest order if there was ever one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭rash0001

Is there a risk that the router saves all private info and passes it on to china or whatever is what I mean. If it is true that BT and UK are at risk do you really believe Ireland or Vodafone who may or may not use the same products won't be at risk!? :rolleyes:

What routers are you talking about? The issue reported pertains to equipment in BT exchanges. Vodafone have no exchanges, or equipment in exchanges. Routers don't store private information.

The Hauwei products used by Vodafone in Ireland are mobile modems, and are about as closely related to BT exchange equipment as apples are to monkey sh*t.

Stop spreading nonsense reported by the Mail.

Vodafone Home Gateway Routers. Not mobile broadband, I am talking about home broadband.

If this is nonsense then good for me.
    Stop spreading nonsense reported by the Mail.

In case you didn't understand what my post says let me spell it out to you. I asked "I-S T-H-I-S T-R-U-E?" Thats called spreading nonsense? Don't read if you don't want to... Daily mail may be crap but if you think that GhostNet didn't happen I seriously doubt you live in todays technology world.

Daily Mail is just making it into a bigger story but GhostNet was true. Nothing to do with daily mail here.

Anyway. You can delete this thread. I was looking for the Huawei firmware and came across this link so thought of asking about it...

rash0001 wrote: »
    Vodafone Home Gateway Routers. Not mobile broadband, I am talking about home broadband.

OK, but a home router is not what's being written about in the article. The only thing a router stores is it's setup, and maybe a log of connections.

In case you didn't understand what my post says let me spell it out to you. I asked "I-S T-H-I-S T-R-U-E?" Thats called spreading nonsense?
    Oh I understood alright, and as I said, this is nonsense. Copying and pasting a scare mongering article from the Mail and asking if it relates to something unrelated, is spreading nonsense.

I still don't see any link between Ghostnet and Vodafone home routers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Very harsh on the OP! But Id imagine there is no security risk to vodafone customers (or BT customers for that matter).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Typical Daily Mail really, trying to spread fear uncertanity and doubt, always sensationalise the slightest little thing into being something much mroe than it actually is

• Registered Users Posts: 38,910 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

If the Chinese had hacked into my Huawei dongle, I wish they'd sped it up a bit.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

Ever since i installed this vodafone gateway ive suspected its been spying on me and now i know its true :eek:

All this noise it generates on the line which i initially thought was down to a faulty router is not actually just simple noise, but something much more sinister. Listening carefully i think i can make out little voices, speaking a strange tongue, could it be chinese, maybe.....

We need to get to the bottom of this noisy gateway somehow, its now more than just a matter of a noisy phoneline maybe interfering with the broadband connection, this is a matter of national security and beyond

But it is very annoying having a gateway so noisy that you cant plug a phone into it and hear a conversation correctly, its not good regardless of the cause and the fact that a lot of them seem to be causing this...... surely the amout of noise that they generate will affect not just phone conversation but the broadband signal itself, im not an expert its just what im thinking

As I said before, I just saw that when I was searching for Huawei details on the Vodafone Home Router and came across this.

Seriously the Huawei router itself is nothing but trouble. Apart from noisy phoneline etc as mentioned by Sapele, the router takes ages to load pages most of the time it is either connection time out or pages load without pictures! But the internet indicator continues to blink. I know it is the modem as I tried the eircom netopia one I have and it is absolutely fine, no problems at all even when using vodafones own DNS.

• Advertisement

As I said before, I just saw that when I was searching for Huawei details on the Vodafone Home Router and came across this.

Seriously the Huawei router itself is nothing but trouble. Apart from noisy phoneline etc as mentioned by Sapele, the router takes ages to load pages most of the time it is either connection time out or pages load without pictures! But the internet indicator continues to blink. I know it is the modem as I tried the eircom netopia one I have and it is absolutely fine, no problems at all even when using vodafones own DNS.

Just as a matter of interest have you compared both the netopia and the voda gateway some evening at

http://www.speedtest.net/
    http://www.pingtest.net/

and if you have what were the results?

I did compare the two. The download speed was around 600Kbps less on the Huawei inspite of that pings on the huawei was better at around 40-50s, mostly 41-43, compared to 65-70s on the netopia. Jitter too was lower for the huawei. How the pages failed to load etc is beyond my understanding. It just said connection was reset or displayed a page without pictures and in plain text etc.

Btw the Huawei is a 802.11n - Wireless "N" router. But acted worse than Wireless "B" speeds on the internal network.

I have the Huawei back in the box and am waiting to hear back from vodafone if I can at least change the DNS settings etc or else "return to sender".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

A lot of operators/ISP's are using Huawei gear at a high level in ireland, Vodafone may not have exchanges but they do have gateway routers at there highsites. but that article is scare mongering ****e at its worst... The exact same could be said for Juniper or Cisco, but at the end of the day. Who cares

Ok thanks for that. Im trying to get hold of another modem so i can compare myself. My pings are usually 75 - 85 with the gateway at speedtest.net but seem to have random problems with pages hanging and not fully loading. Its very annoying but not nearly as bad as it was when i first signed up. The wireless on it seems to be working ok at the moment so its just the random hanging and the noise on the line that are the issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

jor el wrote: »
    What routers are you talking about? The issue reported pertains to equipment in BT exchanges. Vodafone have no exchanges, or equipment in exchanges. Routers don't store private information.

Vodafone do have exchanges, and thus equipment in exchanges. Routers also store private information.

testicle wrote: »
    Vodafone do have exchanges, and thus equipment in exchanges. Routers also store private information.

I think not many people are aware that vodafone are now a telephone and internet provider - reseller or otherwise. only the lines are eircoms. Vodafone seem to have their own servers etc for broadband (Thats what I think as they provide TRUE 1:12 contention ratio which eircom doesn't. Thats what has been discussed on the talk to vodafone forum.).
    Half of the posts when I opened this topic talk about the Huawei DONGLE which is used for vodafone mobile broadband whereas the topic was about the home routers and home broadband. There is another topic related to Huawei home broadband gateway which was moved by a mod to midband! :D and is still there inspite of two posters, including myself, pointing out that it is broadband! :P

testicle wrote: »

No, they don't. All the exchanges in Ireland are owned and operated solely by eircom. Smart, Magnet and BT have some equipment in some exchanges. Vodafone do not.

What private information is stored in a router? Your bank details, credit card, address, date of birth, etc?
    I think not many people are aware that vodafone are now a telephone and internet provider - reseller or otherwise. only the lines are eircoms.

I think everyone is aware of the fact that Vodafone are an ISP. They do not have exchanges though. The lines and exchanges are fully owned by eircom alone.
    Vodafone seem to have their own servers etc for broadband (Thats what I think as they provide TRUE 1:12 contention ratio which eircom doesn't. Thats what has been discussed on the talk to vodafone forum.).

If this is what you're referring to, then that's eircom's Swift IP wholesale package, and not exclusive to Vodafone. eircom control the contention, and all current eircom (or any reseller) customer who's currently on that package will obtain the new contention ration when it becomes active, if not already.
    Half of the posts when I opened this topic talk about the Huawei DONGLE which is used for vodafone mobile broadband whereas the topic was about the home routers and home broadband.

1 post, and only until you actually mentioned the Vodafone Home Gateway router.
    There is another topic related to Huawei home broadband gateway which was moved by a mod to midband! :D and is still there inspite of two posters, including myself, pointing out that it is broadband! :P

And that's related to this somehow? Did you report the topic, or bring attention to it in some way other that on the thread? No, you didn't.

The article at the start of the topic is a farce. It has nothing to do with Vodafone Ireland, or Huawei routers, or any routers. Even the truth, that is buried somewhere in the lies of the article, has nothing to do with them. Suggesting that it is somehow related is being disingenuous, at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I think I said before in a previous post. Delete this if you know it isn't true all I asked is if it was! I got my answer and now have no use for this thread.
    I think everyone is aware of the fact that Vodafone are an ISP. They do not have exchanges though. The lines and exchanges are fully owned by eircom alone.

The mod who moved the other post isn't aware :P Sorry but how do I report a thread? There is a red and white sign for every post but not the thread? Don't mods go through all threads? I thought they will go through that thread. Someone else too posted saying to move it back so I'm not the only one making a mistake!

Anyway good riddance to this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

To report a thread just report a post in it and explain the reason for reporting it.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rash0001, you got your answer but now you've ruined a thread by removing you starting post,

Fair enough you made alot of very misinformed assumptions and because of this looked very foolish but this doesn't mean its ok to ruin the thread in question.

This whole thread wouldn't have happened if you hadn't been reading the nonsense that the daily mail came out with that doesn't even apply to Ireland!

Anyway 2 week ban for acting the maggot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement