Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rté Talent competition "The Guitar" starts this friday Nov 27

Options
  • 24-11-2009 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

This is Rté's new talent competition pitting 16 of the countries most talented young guitarists against each other in search of winning a Fender Rory Gallagher Signature Stratocaster.

The show is running monday-friday on RTE2 (between the simpsons and home and away afaik) starting nov 27th showcasing one guitarist per day with voting opening December 18th.

First up this friday is Shawn Mullen from Stradbally, Co Laois, who also happens to play in laois based band .12 Gauge. You can hear his playing first at www.myspace.com/12gaugemusic and www.bebo.com/12gaugeband

For Rté's official site, go to www.rte.ie/theguitar

(Mods- not sure if bands/musicians is the proper place for this so feel free to move if required- have also started a thread over in Reality TV)
    Ps- am not affiliated to RTE in any way, just getting the word out because theres very little info about this to be found anwhere

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Good luck to those involved, but no doubt it will be a load of crap like everything else on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Hi folks.
    Just letting people know that the voting on this one is now open until tuesday morning-
    Voting is via free online poll at www.rte.ie/theguitar so if any boards members have a minute to spare it'd be cool if ye could head over and cast a vote.
    Im rooting for my fellow band member Shawn Mullen but the choice is yours!
    Thanks,
    Barfly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Irratato

I just listened to all the participants and its an ultra disappointment..... they all trying to do the same thing....and its called "lets see how fast we can play". Forget about timing, forget about feel, forget about clean notes, just go ahead and fumble through as many notes as you can in the shortest time. Judging from this - music is in big trouble in Ireland.
    If you can't pull off 100 notes a second then don't try do it in public cause that's all it ends up sounding like.
    Speed and tapping isn't everything lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Irratato wrote: »
    I just listened to all the participants and its an ultra disappointment..... they all trying to do the same thing....and its called "lets see how fast we can play". Forget about timing, forget about feel, forget about clean notes, just go ahead and fumble through as many notes as you can in the shortest time. Judging from this - music is in big trouble in Ireland.
    If you can't pull off 100 notes a second then don't try do it in public cause that's all it ends up sounding like.
    Speed and tapping isn't everything lads.
    Had a listen and agree to an extent but in fairness, they are giving you about 20 seconds to prove how good you are and lets be honest thats not alot of time so they are all throwing in big out of time solos that sound great to someone who only cares about how many notes are played per second..ie. almost every teenage wannabe guitarist who never bothered to pick one up and learn and may well vote for their favourite simply on the basis of how fast his fingers move.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Like the last poster said, these guys are given 60 seconds to show what they can do, which isnt ideal- but i for one can attest to the fact that my fellow band member is in no way inclined towards fret wankery- if you check out the tunes on the myspace link in my OP you'll see that the guy has an in depth understanding of the feeling and melody required to make a great solo work! C'mon boards, get behind this guy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Like the last poster said, these guys are given 60 seconds to show what they can do, which isnt ideal- but i for one can attest to the fact that my fellow band member is in no way inclined towards fret wankery- if you check out the tunes on the myspace link in my OP you'll see that the guy has an in depth understanding of the feeling and melody required to make a great solo work! C'mon boards, get behind this guy!
    Indeed, as would most of them id say. The general listener who isnt into playing would be more amazed by fret wankery than someone playing a perfect version of something like Parisienne Walkways which would grab my vote :) Ill throw your guy a vote anyway sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Irratato

60 seconds is the perfect amount of time to play 2 or 3 sustained notes with or without feedback with some finger vibrato. Now that would show control and some class too - and would get my vote. ala Peter Green

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Somewhere along the line young guitarists seem to think that musicallity doesn't apply to them or something.
    60 seconds is plenty of time to show you have good technique and a fundmental understanding of melody and harmony and how they interact.

I love a bit of metal but I would be far more inpressed by some chap getting up and playing a harmonic minor chord progession instead of just running through the scale a few times as at least it shows they understand the structure of the scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Bosphorus

I'm liking tomas McCarthy, he gets lessons where i do music, he's unbelievable! I'm in the drum one that will be on in february, everybody except me was doing a hard fast metal peice really!(well the ones i heard) and 40seconds is NOT enough time to explore anything!!!

and the guitarists win a rory gallaghar guitar.......the winner of the drummer one gets a kit signed by the script's drummer.....who the **** is he like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 guitarlover

hey all im also one of the 16

pls take the time to check out my performance here

http://www.rte.ie/tv/twotube/theguitar/finalist15.html

and if use enjoy it id really appreciate if us cast a vote 4 me RYAN BAILIE

THANKS SOO MCH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Adamgelston

Advertisement