If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which LCD TV to go for

Options
  • 24-11-2009 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I am looking to replace my JVC LCD TV (that has packed up after just 4 years!) with a 37" LCD. I had more or less narrowed it down to Sony 37V5500 or 37W5500 as they both come with a 5 yera warranty at the moment - necessary due to experience with the JVC!

As far as I know, the main difference between the two Sony TVs is the 100hz - is this correct? I am not sure whether to bother with the 100hz or not - TV is used only for watching Sky and the odd DVD at present, and I am not sure that I will notice the difference - we sit approx 3-4 metres from the TV - anyone have any views?.

Then I saw the Philips 37PFL8404 (whilst browsing in Harvey Norman), and must admit it turned my eye. What I didn't realise when the salesman gave me a demo of the Net TV feature was that he was using the 37PFL9604 for the demo which is wireless rather than the 8404 which is ethernet connection only - not practical in my house due to siting of phone socket. I think the Philips 9604 is out of my price range, so I am now considering the Philips 8404 and just not using the Net TV feature until i move house in the next year or two! Aside from price, which favours the Sony 37V5500 does anyone have any experience of these Tvs and anything to consider further?

Thanks

GoonerWhitey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi GoonerWhitey

The Philips 37PFL8404H is an excellent TV as you probably saw!
    We sell this for €899.99 in store but you can deduct your 10% Philips Shop Boards Discount from that dropping it to €809.99

Your correct only the 9 series TV offer wireless NET TV, the 8 series are wired only.

This TV has a 4 year warranty as well as a little bonus...

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GoonerWhitey

Thanks Ash for the info. If I was to raid the coppers jar and see if I had enough for the 37PFL9604, what price could you do that for?

Do you have both the 37PFL 8404 & 9604 on display in the store?

Thanks

GoonerWhitey

Hi GoonerWhitey

no worries re info.

I have both the 37" 8404 and 9604 proudly on display in the store so call on in and I'll show you around both TV's:)

we sell the 37PFL9604H for €1299.99 instore so attacking that price with your 10% Philips Shop Boards Discount your are only looking at €1169.99 with a 5 year warranty.

It good for your self esteem to treat yourself everynow and then:D

How does that price sound to you?

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GoonerWhitey

Hi Ash

A whole month has passed and still not got around to sorting out a new Tv! I have narrowed it down to 3 i think - 37PFL9604 & 37PFL 5604(?) A 37" tv is the max for our room and whilst the 7 series might have suited best, it doesn't seem to come in 37" version - is this correct? I think the 32" may be a bit small. The reason the 37PFL5604 is a consideration is that my wife remains to be convinced about the merits of net tv etc vs the higher price! I think I need to bring her in to the shop for a demo (and some convincing)! The 8 series is probably not a consideration as it would require a very lengthy cable to connect with the modem - having said that it might be worthy of consideration if we ignore that feature.

What would be your opinion on the 37PFL5604?

Could you give me a quote and availability info for the aforementioned TVs?

Appreciate your help and any advice you can give

REgards

GoonerWhitey

Hi GoonerWhitey

The 37PFL5604H is a fine TV esp for the its price point.

Whilst the 7 Series doesnt come in a 37" screen size there is the 37PFL8404 (the 8 series are 7 series TV's with Net TV and Ambilight) and is an altogether better TV compared to the 37PFL5604H - even if you ignore the Net TV and Ambilight features as this TV has a higher contrast ratio 80000:1 compared to 50000:1.
    It is also a 100Hz Clear LCD TV with a 3ms response time and uses the more potent and powerfull Pixel Precise HD processor.

The 8 series TV's are pretty fantastic:)

The 9 series TV has the latest Perfect Pixel HD processor and a 2ms repsonse time along with Wireless Net Tv - this is our best ever 37" LCD - it is a stunner and would love to be fed a diet of Sky/UPC HD and Blu-Ray

I do have all 37" on display.

Prices.....

The SALE Price on the 37PFL8404H is €809.99
    and the SALE price on the 37PFL9604H is €1099.99

Call on in and have a look at them - I'm sure one will take your fancy!

Have a great New Year
    Ash

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.