Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zakopane in poland, yay or nay?

Options
  • 24-11-2009 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Was gonna buy this as a present for someone and bring them for a week.

Would you recommend it or not?

Can ya recommend any other cheap places to go instead? Am thinking of going the end of feb.

PS. We are complete beginners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

i would say nay and reccomend Jasna in Slovakia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Bankso in Bulgaria is another cheap resort but have no idea what it is like.

Livignio (Italy) tends to be cheaper and if you're looking for somewhere cheap in Austria, Soll is one of the cheaper resorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

cheers lads thanks. think its gonna be a budget trip to austria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Zakopane is an excelent resort. I have spent several winter holidays there. Mid February is the best time (Most powder). It can get very busy as the whole of Poland seems to go there at some stage during the ski season. It has some realy nice places that serve wholesome Polish food. And some really good bars.

You could fly into Krakow and get the train from there. Also opportunity to spend a couple of nights in the Lovely city of Krakow.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Twin-go wrote: »
    Zakopane is an excelent resort. I have spent several winter holidays there. Mid February is the best time (Most powder). It can get very busy as the whole of Poland seems to go there at some stage during the ski season. It has some realy nice places that serve wholesome Polish food. And some really good bars.

You could fly into Krakow and get the train from there. Also opportunity to spend a couple of nights in the Lovely city of Krakow.

I'd agree with Edmund_F above. Jasna is a much better spot for the skiing and snowboarding side of it. Its only downfall is you are a little stranded, so if someone in your group doesn't like skiing or snowboarding they may feel a little bored. (Yet to meet someone who hasn't caught the bug after their first time)

Having said that the nightlife is pretty decent in zakopane and theres plenty going on when the slopes close. The instructors are all of a very high standard, and for beginners its a pretty good place to start, as you can always jump on a bus to krakow and in 2hrs be in the best city in europe in my opinion. Its where I learned to ski and I might be a little biased but its a pretty good spot.

Jasna is the dogs, though...great resort!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Twin-go wrote: »

I couldnt agree with this less. Zakopane is where rich Poles go to pose in their expensive ski jackets around town without doing a whole lot of skiing.

Jasna is far better (though not nearly as good as whats in France, Austria, Italy). If it was a choice between the two Jasna wins hands down- witness the mass exodus there by Poles from Krakow every winter weekend (they actually bypass Zakopane to get to Jasna).

Jasna has approx 54km of piste which is interlinked, Zakopane is just a bunch of skifields with a couple of runs with no interlinking.

The town near Jasna (Liptovsky Mikulas) has go-karting, a thermal spa and lots of other things to do for non-skiers. Jasna hands down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

We are booked into Jasna for 26th Dec to 2nd

No snow yet...slightly worried !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

bovril wrote: »
    if you're looking for somewhere cheap in Austria, Soll is one of the cheaper resorts.

I found that with Crystal there was cheaper then Soll....but then again i only lloked at Soll with Crystal!!!

If your looking for a cheap holiday Bulgaria is good for beginers due to the amount of blue slopes it has but lack of red and black tend to keep more advanced skiiers away...and bulgaria as a country is very cheap to eat and drink in (dinner from about €10-€15 (2 courses) a head Flirt vodka €4 a ltr bottle...wine from €3 a bottle....you cant go wrong)

Advertisement