Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request for Anvirzel

Options
  • 24-11-2009 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi to one and all.

From a bloke who knows little about drugs...

I got a mail from someone I know who doesn't live in Ireland saying their relative is sick and they are trying to get a drug called Anvirzel. And that they know it's sold in Ireland and the US. I rang the pharmacy and they have never heard of it. There is some mixed info out there on the net. Anyone ever hear of it? Is it available in Ireland?

Any (constructive) input will be appreciated. Thanks,

Priapus!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Anvirzel is an aqueous extract of the plant Nerium oleander which has been utilized to treat patients with advanced malignancies

so basically al alt-health-ish cancer treatment drug

Here's what the FDA has to say about it
    Identification of Oleandrin and Oleandrigenin in Oleander Extract by LC/MS and LC/MS/MS

Walden H. Lee and Kin S. Chiu, Pacific Regional Laboratory-Southwest, FDA, Los Angeles, CA 90015

Nerium Oleander is an ornamental shrub found in the sun belt areas of the United States. The plant contains "digitalis-like" cardioglycosides that are highly toxic to animals, including humans. Oleander has been reported to have therapeutic effects in cell proliferation disease and a patent exists for the production of an extract. Due to the unsubstantiated medical claim, the toxicity of the plant and its potential use as an herbal drug, an identification method for two toxic components, oleandrin and oleandrigenin, was developed. For regulatory purposes, the method uses reversed phase liquid chromatography (LC) with electrospray ionization/mass spectrometry (MS) and MS/MS detection.

so it appears your looking for something that exists in a very grey area tbh. From my reading, it's not availible in the States, it's only undergone Phase 1 trials, and it's effectiveness has not be proven, or side effects properly noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I'm leaving this thread open so that the actual drug can be discussed. If anyone goes into discussing how to obtain this without prescrition etc or such like "medical" advice, prepare to be banned.

Discussions on the drug, MOA, etc are ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Priapus

Thanks for that response Mystik Monkey.

I was talking to the pharmacist after posting that note and she had a similar response to what you said, unproven alternative type of thing. I don't think I am saying anything I shouldn't by this....but she did say it is the type of thing you might get at a herbal / alternative medical health shop. But she was skeptical about it. So I am inclined to ignore the request as it seems somewhat dodgy.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

for the sake of argument even if its available, theres a high probability that its prescription only(unless it actully is a herbal remedy), and posession is illegal without a prescription, so unless your friend has an irish prescription, you cant get it for him, its the same in america

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

There is an article in the health supplement of today's Irish Times about Anvirzel.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement