Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torrents throttled on Vodafone?

Options
  • 24-11-2009 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

7m connection and I'm getting disgusting dial up speeds of about 10/kbs download :confused: was hitting over 300 for a short time yesterday!

why would they be throttled when I'm not even 20gigs into a 60 monthly allowance???

speedtest without torrent running
    632141591.png

and with
    632145228.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 smokiespliff

i'm being throttled here too - average of 200kbs download speed when it usually hits ~760kbs. http traffic remains unaffected though.

not a good start to my newfound and unasked for relationship with vodafone :mad:

will keep an eye on it as it's possibly only peak traffic that's affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Now correct me if I am wrong, but if you have a torrent running, how can you expect speedtest.net to give you accurate results.
    It isn't testing how fast something you are downloading is, it is testing how fast it can download/upload something from their site.
    If you have a torrent running it is using up your bandwidth and of course the results are going to be off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

dogpile wrote: »
    7m connection and I'm getting disgusting dial up speeds of about 10/kbs download :confused: was hitting over 300 for a short time yesterday!

why would they be throttled when I'm not even 20gigs into a 60 monthly allowance???

speedtest without torrent running
    632141591.png

and with
    632145228.png
    They are perfectly acceptable speeds for your connection, especially with regards to your second image showing the speeds when your currently downloading a torrent - there's no logic in that or point at all.

Torrents max out your connection, that's why they work so well. Your speeds are fine and your not throttled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 smokiespliff

yes, it's definitely being throttled - even worse now in the evening, couldn't get anything above 130kbs.
    but once i turned on encryption it shot to 750kbs.

even though there's plenty of ways around it, i'm still going to carefully consider if i'm staying with vodafone or not... i hope they realise throttling bandwidth only drives customers away rather than pleasing others.

interesting point from techdirt.com
    http://techdirt.com/articles/20090120/2052593472.shtml
    Pretty Much All Canadian ISPs Are Slowing Down P2P

A new study up in Canada suggests that pretty much all of the major ISPs are now throttling P2P activity -- with some admitting they do so even if there's no sign of actual congestion on the network. Of course, if there were enough competition (don't laugh) this would be an opportunity for a smart ISP to highlight and promote the fact that they don't throttle any kind of traffic, and aren't lying when they tell their customers what kind of bandwidth they sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

yes, it's definitely being throttled - even worse now in the evening, couldn't get anything above 130kbs.
    but once i turned on encryption it shot to 750kbs.

+1 for encryption :D
    getting 750KB/sec + in transmission

also helps NOT to use the default port in whatever bittorrent app you use

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

lads keep it to the one thread please
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055334444

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement