Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colonoscopy and consultant's fees

Options
  • 24-11-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi everyone, hoping you could give me some advice.

My husband has a history of a fairly dodgy stomach, and has been for an endoscopy in the past for suspected ulcers (but apparently none were found). He started to suffer with very severe diarrhea and stomach cramps at the end of this summer and went to his (IMO useless) GP, who told him to take paracetamol and go to bed for a few days :rolleyes:. This was despite him having the signs of something more serious than a dose of the runs, ie mucus and blood in his stool. The GP gave him a letter which he told him was to make an appointment for a colonoscopy in Beaumont. He then changed to my GP who gave him antibiotics and tablets that did something like build up the lining of his stomach AFAIK, and told him to go for the scope. He then got a fairly vague letter back from the hospital with his appointment date, and after ringing during the week, he found out it's only an appointment to see the consultant, not to get the actual scope done. This seems a bit weird to me, as he didn't have to see a consultant prior to the endoscopy, and i've have several similar procedures done (not a colonoscopy though) and have only ever seen a consultant once, after the procedure was done.

So basically, I'm wondering, is this normal procedure? How much will it cost him for the consultant visit? We have insurance with Hibernian but I can't imagine they'll cover any of this. I'm very concerned about the costs because we just can't afford it at the moment. If it is just a consultation, how long then will he be waiting for the actual test to be done? He was really stressed about the wait for this appopintment so I'm afraid this further wait is going to make him blow a gasket...

Advertisement