Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free WiFi In Australia

Options
  • 24-11-2009 4:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Is it just me or is the WiFi and Internet service in Australia rubbish??? I mean, in South America almost every hostel offered free internet and free WiFi. And from what I hear, free WiFi is everywhere in South East Asia too?!

How are Australia and New Zealand so far behind?? I mean, the Internet that you do get, you pay extortionate prices for and it tends to be as slow as a dead hamster.

I've only come across a couple of places that offered free WiFi in Australia and New Zealand and I thought it'd be a good idea to make a list of them, cos it can turn into a money-saver for us backpackers who like to upload lots of photos!!

Lantana Lodge, Parnell, Auckland
    -- slow, but decent enough wifi available all over the house and two computers available too

Minto, Gladstone Rd, Highgate Hill, Brisbane
    -- very slow, wifi available throughout the house (if you log on really early it's a bit faster!)

Clarke's Beach Caravan Park, Byron Bay
    -- very slow, unreliable (cuts out when it feels like it!) 3 hours per day of free WiFi

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

anyone used Maccers WiFi Service????

I tried to log onto it once bt it wanted my Telstra Customer number, which is a problem cos I'm with Vodafone and Optus

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

take mcdonalds as a given... and that it's rubbish! not worth a big mac in my opinion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Maccas and Starubucks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Australia is pretty poor for internet in general, it is expensive

Yeah wifi is usually free in asia, but then again it is a huge money spinner, so I doubt hostels will give that up easily

on the other hand, you can get free wifi in the city, I work in CQ and I pick up free wifi and I can check stuff on my iTouch like my gmail/facebook that is normally blocked in work ... happy days

unwired usually have a few hotspots around

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maccas is alright for quick checks, but don't expect to download podcasts or large files. Also, a lot of sites are blocked.

Haven't tried starbucks

All backpacker typeplaces (peter pans, tribal etc) offer free internet (not wifi) although is often only 1/2 and hour, but you can find vouchers everywhere.

Hussey, where do you get free wifi while in work in the city? (sydney?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I work in circular quay in sydney and pick up 'unwired free wifi', there is also access points at town hall too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Most city libraries in Australia have free wifi, you just have to join.

hussey wrote: »
    I work in circular quay in sydney and pick up 'unwired free wifi', there is also access points at town hall too
    I'm over near broadway/central and pick up nothing here, shame Maccas continues
    Confab wrote: »
    Most city libraries in Australia have free wifi, you just have to join.

If only I worked in a library :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I use my own Irish 3 USB modem. Works fine here in Brisbane, haven't tried it anywhere else yet though.

whyulittle wrote: »
    I use my own Irish 3 USB modem. Works fine here in Brisbane, haven't tried it anywhere else yet though.
    I don't imagine thats covered under Free WiFi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Just making people aware that it's possible to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

maccers internet is awesome, im there right now...

whyulittle wrote: »
    Just making people aware that it's possible to do it.
    Obviously its possible, they are available in phoneshops everywhere (and prob cost less than using your irish one)

Advertisement